We are planning our summer trip up north and will pass by Indianapolis during the race weekend for Indy 500 so I thought it will be a great experience for our kids. But we are definitely a first timer for the race. I have a couple questions regarding the visit.
Our kids are 9 and 11 so they can walk around without complain.
My questions are:
1. If we buy the general admission tickets, will we be able to see the race? I think the seat will be a lawn seat, correct? Do they have big screen for us to watch?
2. Is there other activities on the race day for kids to enjoy?
3. I don't expect us to spend the whole day there. Depends on how hot and tire they will get. So when is a best time to go? At the beginning to experience the start or toward the end?
4. I'm thinking about purchasing parking ticket. Is it worth it? I have read a lot of suggestion of parking at other people lawn or around the track but being out of town I just don't want to risk getting lost on the busy day.
5. At this point, I haven't finalized where we want to stay yet. We want to save another day for visiting downtown and Children's museum. So where is the best general location to stay? We will be driving to Columbus, OH after Indianapolis. Would love a hotel under $100/night if possible. But after a quick search it looks more like $150 for that weekend.