We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visiting downtown this Saturday...

Which Indianapolis hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Dayton, OH
Level Contributor
291 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Visiting downtown this Saturday...

My husband and I have decided to make the short trip to Indy this Saturday for a short getaway. We would like to stay downtown and be walking distance to good restaurants and bars. I think I have it narrowed down to Crowne Plaza or Hampton Inn. Which would you suggest?

Also, what restaurant suggestions do you have? We like a nice meal.....I looked up Palominos and Capitol Grill which both look good.

While you're at it, give me some good bar recs too :)

THANKS!

Indianapolis
Level Contributor
786 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Visiting downtown this Saturday...

I don't think you would go wrong with either choice of hotel. I have stayed at both on different occasions and you should be paying about the same rate at both hotels. Both have great central locations although the Hampton Inn is a little bit closer walking distance to your 2 choices of restaurants. However, they are almost equal distance to St. Elmo Steak House which IMO is a better choice than the Capitol Grill if you are looking for a good steak. Don't know what anybody else thinks but, when it comes to bars I would make sure to visit the Slippery Noodle, the Rathskeller, or the Lockerbie Pub. Although the latter 2 are a little out of walking distance from your hotel choices. The annual Indianapolis Black Expo starts this weekend so some places may be busier than usual. Have a nice trip!

Indianapolis
Level Contributor
312 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Visiting downtown this Saturday...

I've always enjoyed Palomino's, but I haven't been to Capitol Grill. St. Elmo's is good, but Harry and Izzy's is owned by the same people, is a little less pricey, and I think it has more variety.

If you are hoping to participate in the Black Expo, you probably want to stay downtown. However, if you're just in town to be a tourist, you might want to venture a little bit outside of the downtown area to avoid the crowds. The Mass Ave District is close to downtown - not really within walking distance, but a short cab ride away. There are many restaurants and bars on Mass Ave - including the Rathskellar.

I hope you enjoy your trip.

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
513 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Visiting downtown this Saturday...

I agree with both previous posters on all issues. IMO I'd choose St. Elmo's or Harry & Izzy's over Palomino.

If D.T. hotels booked up for the Expo maybe consider the Sheraton up at Keystone at the Crossing. Lots of restaurnants and lounges up that way including a second Harry & Izzy's location.

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
351 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Visiting downtown this Saturday...

I concur with Indygirl 2003 about St. Elmos over the other two. Palomino is quite loud. St. Elmo was also just made Forbes' top 10 list of classic restaurants - see today's Indy Star (July 13) for an article. that said, St. Elmo's always seems a bit over-rated to me (especially the famous shrimp cocktail, but to be fair I spend a lot of time on the Gulf where the shrimp is fabulous anywhere).

Nawlins4Life's recommendation of the Slippery Noodle is spot on -- I think it qualifies as an iconic bar for the city. Great music, rich history.

If you are still looking for an place to stay and like B& Bs, you might see if Nestle Inn (on East Street just off Mass Av) has space. It is a lovely spot and you'll be right off one of the more happening streets in town. If you like to walk, then I think you can get to the downtown sites from there pretty easily on foot rather than taking a cab. Along Mass Av, my favorite places to go for a nice meal are: R Bistro & Mesh, and stop by the Best Chocolate in Town for a real treat.

Have a great time - there's lots going on in town this weekend.

Dayton, OH
Level Contributor
291 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Visiting downtown this Saturday...

Thanks everyone for all of the wonderful suggestions! :)

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
513 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Visiting downtown this Saturday...

Enjoy come back and let us know how your visit was.

Dayton, OH
Level Contributor
291 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Visiting downtown this Saturday...

Due to the Expo that was in town last weekend, we decided to post pone our trip until later this summer. We ended up just going down to Cincinnati and going to a Reds game (great game!) then hitting a hip new restaurant next door to the stadium afterwards.

Thanks again for all of the suggestions - it will help alot when we are finally able to make the trip! :)

Bloomington, Indiana
Destination Expert
for Bloomington
Level Contributor
8,347 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Visiting downtown this Saturday...

Probably a good idea.

Seems like somewhere (Convention Center or Convention & Visitor's Bureau websites, maybe) there was a listing of Indy conventions & events going on in downtown. But it seems to me that it wasn't really good (perhaps it didn't look out very far in the future?), I know with many other cities being able to scope out major events that fill hotels (and drive rates up) can be very worthwhile when you're planning a (flexible date) vacation.

Anyway, glad to help and thank you for the thanks - it does make us feel better when we get them - hope to help you when you start planning again,

hlo

Marina, California
Destination Expert
for Tucson
Level Contributor
5,807 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Visiting downtown this Saturday...

Just out of curiosity, was the new, hip restaurant in Cincy the Moerlein Lager House? Been meaning to get to it the past few times I've been down there.

indy is unfortunately missing an official list of annual events, which is a shame because there's always a lot going on, particularly in the summer. There is an unofficial about.com page on it though: …about.com/od/…Events_Attractions.htm

Bloomington, Indiana
Destination Expert
for Bloomington
Level Contributor
8,347 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Visiting downtown this Saturday...

Not necessarily talking about just routine, predictable, annual events (although thing like the 500, Gen Con, State Fair & Ribfest obviously have an impact), but also the one time or periodic conventions, conferences, sporting events, etc.

Have a national conention at the Convention Center with 10,000 attendees and you'll see an impact on hotel availability rates, etc. Heck it does even have to be that large, have a couple of overlappIng conventions of a few thousand each, add in a two day conference (or two) of a few hundred and maybe a sporting event . . . you get the idea.

hlo