We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What are the iconic restaurants of Indy?

Which Indianapolis hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
tampa
Level Contributor
35 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
What are the iconic restaurants of Indy?

Our family will be in in Indy in mid-June. All the top restaurants on TA seem to be chains we have in our town. I'm hoping for some local advice on the nicer local restaurants. Thanks.

Bloomington, Indiana
Destination Expert
for Bloomington
Level Contributor
8,334 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What are the iconic restaurants of Indy?

Yeah, you're seeing one (of many) of the reasons I don't use TA for restaurants.

There are plenty of good non-national-chain restaurants in Indy. Without any additional criteria (cuisine, general area, budget, meal, ambiance, etc.), I'm going to skip giving specific suggestions. (Rather than naming a list that has no interest for you, is in the other side of town, out of your budget, etc.)

Supplying more info about what you're looking for (beyond non-chain) will get you more & better recommendations and it's a good general rule on TA forum questions to supply as much detail as possible).

I suggest you check out restaurant oriented websites. I use Urbanspoon and there is also Yelp, Chowhound & others. These will allow you to filter for the criteria listed above (and ither things) and should result in plenty of independent restaurants for you to choose from.

Hope this helps,

hlo

tampa
Level Contributor
35 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What are the iconic restaurants of Indy?

By iconic, I mean the restaurants people associate with Indy and tend to ask you if you tried them when you visited. Every city has a few. The cuisine, general area, budget, meal, ambiance, etc. are irrelevant to us. We'll try anything. I just don't want to miss a well known spot b/c of ignorance of its existence.

Indianapolis
Level Contributor
68 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What are the iconic restaurants of Indy?

One of my favorite Indy restaurant bloggers made this list for our Super Bowl guests:

…blogspot.com/search/label/Super%20Bowl

I think she gave some great suggestions for some of our best local places. As far as "iconic" - I would say St. Elmo's would be at the top of the list. Make sure you try the shrimp cocktail.

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
487 posts
249 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What are the iconic restaurants of Indy?

Great post, IndyTraveler! Its nice to get suggestions and a little info about the local eats in one place! We will be in Indy in July and this is a help!

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
351 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What are the iconic restaurants of Indy?

I would agree that St. Elmo's has iconic status. I know folks rave about the shrimp cocktail and that is what it is famous for, but imo it isn't anything special, just has some extra horse radish for a kick.

A runner up might be Santorini's - Greek food in Ft. Square. I'm not sure it has iconic status but the food is always excellent, the owners wonderful folks that are beloved by people in the community.

Edward's drive in, for more of a drive in/dive type experience (featured on the food channel) is home to large tenderloins (somewhat of a signature dish for Indy) and great root beer floats.

Other independently owned choices that might approach iconic status, and certainly have a very long standing history in the city:

The Iron Skillet -- family style dining famous for fried chicken (noticing a theme here? Fried food is Indiana - we even fry candy bars at the fair). see: http://www.ironskillet.net

For Italian fare, either Iarias (iariasrestaurant.com) or Milano Inn (www.milanoinn.com).

German: The Rathskeller (www.rathskeller.com)

Some of my other favorites include:

Broadripple Brew Pub has been around for a long time and has a strong following - and I prefer the food there (more interesting and generally tastier imo) than at Brugge or Thr3e Wisemen.

Saffron Cafe is Morroccan and right downtown.

Indianapolis
Level Contributor
312 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: What are the iconic restaurants of Indy?

I agree with the other posters that St. Elmo's is probably the best known Indy restaurant. It was the place to go for all VIPs who were in town for the Superbowl. I like the shrimp cocktail - but it is VERY spicy. Personally, I scrape off most of the cocktail sauce before I eat it. If I don't my eyes water.

Indygem gave you a lot of other good suggestions.

I hope you enjoy your visit.

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
826 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: What are the iconic restaurants of Indy?

St. E's probably best known. Shapiro's is famous for corned beef. A great place is the Greek Isles (or islands??) just south of Shapiro's. Iconic? How about the Mug N Bun for thee best coney dogs and onion rings? Edwards Drive Inn for tenderloins?

indianapolis
Destination Expert
for Indianapolis
Level Contributor
460 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What are the iconic restaurants of Indy?

In my opinion. Edward's drive in has great lunch fare in a fifties style car hop drive in with awesome home made root beer. Also enjoy Union Jack for great pizza along with Bazebeaux pizza for thin crust. Zest! has great food creations and flavors that can't be missed. I will throw out Oaken Barrel for great food and beer made on site. Please support local owned business. St. Elmo's wouldn't care if you dined there or not, because it will cost a lot. Just my two cents.

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
826 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: What are the iconic restaurants of Indy?

Love the Razz Wheat at OB

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
513 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What are the iconic restaurants of Indy?

Iconic= St. Elmo's IMO