We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nightlife

Which Indianapolis hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Richmond, VA
Level Contributor
271 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Nightlife

Only got a limited time in Indy this weekend, where is the best place or neighborhood for the hubby and I to grab a drink and get a good feel for the vibe of Indianapolis?

Indianapolis
Level Contributor
312 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Nightlife

Three main areas come to mind. This weekend will especially busy in Indianapolis, because of the Indy 500 qualifying on Saturday and bump day on Sunday. The Pacers are also playing on Sunday.

1. The downtown area along Meridian Street, near Circle Center Mall. This is the major tourist area, and will probably be the busiest. It also has the biggest selection of bars.

2. Massachusetts Ave - several blocks away from the immediate downtown area. It has more independent type restaurants. The Rathskeller is a popular place to have a drink, and sit outside to listen to a band.

3. Broad Ripple - this is quite far from downtown. To me, it seems like more of the younger, harder partying area. Lots of bachelor and bachelorette parties. But, it is still a nice, trendy little neighborhood with good restaurants and unique shops.

Hope you enjoy your visit.

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
513 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Nightlife

What area of town will you be in? What type of night life ie: clubs or laid back cocktail where you can hear each other speak?

You have to pay to park downtown plus taxes are higher there. Will cost you more

Edited: 12:38 am, May 18, 2012
Richmond, VA
Level Contributor
271 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Nightlife

We're in our 30's so we still like a hip place with good energy. But we are not looking for clubs.

An area where maybe we can walk around and check out a few places?

Bloomington, Indiana
Destination Expert
for Bloomington
Level Contributor
8,493 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Nightlife

Rely #1 does a good job of outlining the three main areas: downtown, Mass Ave & Broadripple.

I'd probably put Broadripple as my third place suggestion to you for two reasons: a) it skews a younger and a little "partier", and b) it's "all by itself.". If you went there, wandered around and didn't find something you liked, you'd be out of luck & have to go elsewhere (ie cab or drive).

With downtown & Mass Ave you've got: a) more overall options (and I think greater variety), so if you don't like where you end up there are more places nearby, and b) they're very close to each other (walkable, but it a bit of a hoof, short cab ride). Thus if you start with Mass Ave and decide you've seen everything it will be easy to shift to downtown (& vice versa).

On my phone so it's not convenient, but I'll try to post some links later (i know there is a Mass Ave site & think there may be a Broadripple one too).

I'll close by adding that I've got nothing against Broadripple, just think you'll have more options & flexibility in the dgeneral owntown area; that it will be easier to switch things up & go with the flow.

Hope this helps,

hlo

Bloomington, Indiana
Destination Expert
for Bloomington
Level Contributor
8,493 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Nightlife

As promised(?) here's some links.

First for Broadripple:

www.discoverbroadripplevillage.com/

Second Mass Ave:

www.discovermassave.com/

And finally a downtown site:

www.indydt.com/

Hope this helps,

hlo

Indianapolis
Level Contributor
312 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Nightlife

If I were going out with friends from out of state, I'd take them downtown. As hlo points out, there are so many options, you can pick a place that appeals to you. This weekend, with all of the events going on, there will probably be a lot of energy anywhere you go.

7. Re: Nightlife

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:41 pm, June 21, 2013