We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dinner Near Bankers Life Fieldhouse

Mazatlan, Mexico
5 posts
Save Topic
Dinner Near Bankers Life Fieldhouse

My wife and I were lucky enough to get tickets to the Pacers - Bulls game next Wednesday. We are driving in that afternoon and were looking for a great place to have dinner downtown pre-game. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Mike

Bloomington, Indiana
Destination Expert
for Bloomington
Level Contributor
8,548 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dinner Near Bankers Life Fieldhouse

First, welcome to the TA forums!

Similar to my answer on this thread:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g37209-i281-k53367…

It would be nice if you could give some criteria besides the general area and "great." There's probably a couple of dozen (or more) restaurants that could fit this criteria. (Especially when you consider "great" is totally subjective.)

Do you have any preferences re: budget, cuisine, ambiance, etc? We'd rather suggest places that "you're* likely to enjoy rather than just give a laundry list of downtown restaurants we like; and, since one man's meat is another man's poison (pun intended) there's no certainty you'll like them (no reason to suggest seafood places to a person who doesn't like fish).

(As an aside joke, have you ever noticed that people never ask, "can someone give the name of a *bad* restaurant?)

In terms of providing a "laundry list," of possible restaurants, I suggest you check out restaurant oriented sites (TA has restaurant info, but I don't know anyone who uses it as their primary source and I don't use it all all for many reasons). Check out Urbanspoon (which I use), Yelp (which I don't, but others swear by), Chowhound, etc. These will allow you to search/filter based on location, budget, cuisine, etc. as well as see rankings, reviews etc.

Here's a link to the Urbanspoon Indy page:

urbanspoon.com/c/40/Indianapolis-restaurants…

Now all that said, I can say that over the last couple of years, I have had a couple of good meals at Fogo de Chao; so it would probably be on *my* short list. The "problem" is that it's not cheap and you've got to like your beef to really enjoy it.

I close by giving some advice on posting questions on the TA forums. Generally speaking giving more information/making your question more specific results in both more & better responses.

Hope this helps,

hlo

Edited: 11:19 am, April 18, 2012
Indianapolis, IN
Level Contributor
35 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dinner Near Bankers Life Fieldhouse

Mike --

Since you're getting into town in the afternoon I'm assuming you may have a little extra time....if so, I would head to Massachusetts Avenue, find a parking spot at one end or the other, walk "Mass Ave" and window shop or visit some of the great shops along the way then decide which restaurant looks best and stop for dinner. Mass Ave has a variety of great restaurants. Go to www.discoverMassAve.com to check it out in advance. On a Wednesday night, you should have pretty good luck just walking in unless I'm underestimating what the Bulls/Pacers game will do to downtown!

If I've assumed that you will have more time that you actually will, here are some ideas to try specifically for dinner. St. Elmo's Steakhouse is an Indianapolis favorite but is at the high end of the price scale. It's "little Brother and sister" is called Harry & Izzy's and it is more casual, has great food (try the beef tenderloin sliders) and is not as high end. Scotty's Brewhouse is a great place local brewpub and would be a lot of fun pre-game.

If you look at the Fieldhouse on and online map you'll see that there are numerous restaurants in the area. You'll also notice Georgia Street.......Georgia Street is the street that held all of the activities for the Super Bowl this year. You could park by Bankers Life Field house and head west on Georgia and stop when something looks good to you.

Hope you enjoy your time in Indy!

Mazatlan, Mexico
5 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Dinner Near Bankers Life Fieldhouse

Thank you for the input, it has helped.

Go Bulls :)

Mike and Athie

Carmel, Indiana
Level Contributor
27 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dinner Near Bankers Life Fieldhouse

I would suggest http://www.indydt.com and then select the dining option. My personal suggestions are: Mo's-A Place for Steaks (1/2 block from arena), McCormick & Schmick's (seafood...3 blocks from arena), The Oceanaire (seafood....1 block from arena), and St. Elmo Steakhouse (2 blocks from arena). St. Elmo is one of the top steakhouses in the country and top 100 restaurants in the country. Yes it's expensive but a must see/do when you're in Indianapolis.

5. Re: Dinner Near Bankers Life Fieldhouse

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 pm, June 19, 2013