We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Things to do Final 4 weekend

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
826 posts
Save Topic
Things to do Final 4 weekend

MARCH MADNESS has already struck Indy. We've hosted the Mens AND women's Big 10 Tournament, one weekend before The Final 4 is The Indiana State Basketball Championships, and plenty of Pacer games right up to the big weekend. When in town you might tire of basketball with the two games on Sat and the big one on Monday. NAH, I doubt it, but anyway here's a couple thing you might try on Sunday. Within walking distance of downtown to the west just over the river is The Indianapolis Zoo. On the grounds there is The White River Gardens which currently has their annual live butterfly exhibit. Also just west on the east side of the river is The Indiana State Museum and The NCAA Hall of Champions. A little further east in that same area is The Eiteljorg (a museum of American Indian Art). If the weather is nice take a stroll along the Canal. Just behind the State Museum is The Vietnam Veteran's Wall and a steam clock which plays about every half hour. A little less than a mile north is The USS Indianapolis Memorial. This is well worth it and if you don't walk it's a very easy drive. Feel the need for speed? Take a drive out to The Indianapolis Motor Speedway. About six miles northwest of downtown. Driveunder the track to the museum (entry to the museum $3-$4) Just seeing the massiveness of this facility is special (350,000 permanant seats) Remember, Indy is divided by two street. MERIDIAN ST (runs N/S) The Monument Circle is the centerpiece if Indy on Meridian, and Washighton St(runs e/w). Most things in downtown are walkable and within one mile. Anyone need help? Things to do? Restaurants? Churchs? Bar? Parking? Etc? LET ME KNOW

Boston. MA
Level Contributor
7 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Things to do Final 4 weekend

My wife and I are staying at the Amerisuites at Keystone Crossing. I've rented a car...will I have a problem parking downtown? Where do you suggest I park?

Any restaurant recommendations in the area I am staying? Any general recommendations will be appreciated. Thanks

EAR

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
826 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Things to do Final 4 weekend

There are plenty of fine restaurants up in The Keystone Crossing area. I suggest asking the front desk about a good LOCAL (not a chain) restaurant in that area. I think I'll be up in that area today so I'll do some snooping. There will be plenty of parking close to The Dome. South of The Dome are plenty of lots (outdoor) that are well attended. My guess is they'll charge $20.00 this weekend.(normally $10) If the weather is nice, the forcast is for clear, high 58, low about 40 you can walk from most places downtown. You might try NORTH of The Monument Circle on the street. Probably on or North of Ohio St or on any of the N/S street in that area. Parking free on the streets on weekends or after 6 p.m. on weekends (as long as they aren't NO PARKING zones) There are also plenty of lots in that area that are well lighted and attended. I will be in the downtown area today so I'll check it out also. Should be able to post again tonight. When are you coming in?

Boston. MA
Level Contributor
7 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Things to do Final 4 weekend

Hi Indyob

Thanks for replying to my message. We are coming in on Thursday afternoon, so if you scout around today and can post tonight or tomorrow, I'll be able to read your advice.

Thanks.

theear

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
826 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Things to do Final 4 weekend

Lend me your EAR. For eats from I465 and Keystone go south on Keystone to the 86th St exit. Go left (east) there. About a quarter mile on the left will be The Fashion Mall. Right in that area is The Keystone Grill, Sullivan's Steakhouse, and Maggianos (Italian). Farther east about one mile on right is The Bonefish (seafood) and The Fox and Hound. About 4 miles is The Loon Lake Lodge (one of my favorites) To get there right after you pass BASH ST there is an enrtance Kind of a congested area. Between those places is unlimited amount of chain restaurants and fast food. To get downtown, get on I465 east follow around south about 8 miles to I70 WEST. After a few miles merge to second lane from right. The Michigan St/Ohio St/ FletcherAve exit is 8 miles from I70. Take this exit. After you curve to the left you want to get over to the right quickly and take the Michigan/New York st exit. At bottom (ist light) is Michigan Ave. which is one way west. Take it about o mile to or past Capitol Avenue. There are plenty of ground parking areas there or you can park on the street for free on weekends. Monday those lots might be full because of the daily workforce. The Dome is about a six block walk south from there.Also there is closer south of the Dome or several indoor parking garages which will be hard to get out of after the games. To get back to I 70 after the games take Illinois St (one way N) Signt to interstate are well marked. Downtown will be crowded. The main eating and drinking areas will be on Meridian ST south of the circle toward the Dome. There are also concerts from Thurs thru Mon on the southside of The Circle (al free) I think that John Mellancamp performs on Sunday. A few notes. We go on daylight savings time Sunday morning at 2 a.m. Check your watches. No carry out liquor sales in Indiana on Sunday. (bars and restaurants can serve) Get gas before you get downtown. VERY FEW gas stations in downtown area If I think of more will add tonight

Carmel, Indiana
Level Contributor
27 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Things to do Final 4 weekend

www.indydt.com

Links for Downtown Indianapolis Parking, Dining, Shopping, Lodging, etc.

Westfield, Indiana
Level Contributor
394 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Things to do Final 4 weekend

Good restaurant recommendations by Indyob. Another good place near your hotel, if you like Italian, is Sangiovese Ristorante. It's virtually across the street from Bonefish Grill on 86th St.

atj

Louisville, KY
1 post
Save Reply
7. Re: Things to do Final 4 weekend

I'm planning on running while in town for the Final Four - . can you recommend any good areas/places to run? Say 5-6 miles courses?

Westfield, Indiana
Level Contributor
394 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Things to do Final 4 weekend

FtD,

What part of town are you staying in?

atj

Boston. MA
Level Contributor
7 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Things to do Final 4 weekend

Indyob

Like your opening line: lend me your EAR

Thanks for the recommendations...I'm not leaving until Thursday so I'll check for further postings.

theear

Los Angeles
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Things to do Final 4 weekend

Thanks for the tips! GO BRUINS!