We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Romantic night away/Bed and Breakfast

Muncie, Indiana
Level Contributor
366 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Romantic night away/Bed and Breakfast

My husband and I are trying to plan a 1 or 2 night trip away.. in early April. Just a simple overnight trip.. we aren't wanting to go far.. so we are sticking to the Indy area and surrounding areas. I will be 8 months pregnant at the time.. and we just want to get away for a relaxing night or two together. It's also for our anniversary. With being so close to my due date, we aren't wanting to go too far from home. Just looking for some suggestions for romantic places to stay, maybe a bed and breakfast would be nice. We obviously wont' be doing anything too extravagant.. just spending some quality time together before the baby comes and to celebrate our anniversary. Any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated.. and suggestions from other areas are welcome too.. maybe within an hour or two of Indy.. we are from the Muncie area ourselves.

Thanks!!

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
111 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Romantic night away/Bed and Breakfast

The Brick Street Inn in Zionsville is a good reccomendation. Nice little B&B on Main Street in Zionsville. The have a very good restaraunt called patricks in the lobby and downtownn Zionsville is great to stroll on nice day and get a good dinner at night. I would also highly reccomend Noah Grants for dinner. Zionsville is also an easy 30 minute drive to downtown Indianapolis.

Bloomington, Indiana
Destination Expert
for Bloomington
Level Contributor
8,797 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Romantic night away/Bed and Breakfast

Here's a few thoughts:

1) Obviously you've thought of B&Bs and on this topic I suggest you look at the TA rating & reviews on the (~20 or so) B&Bs they list for Indy. Based on what you're saying, I'm not sure location is a major concern, but don't completely discount it. I would think you could probably narrow your choices down to a handful after a first pass.

2) You might also consider Hotwire/Priceline. I like using these for "discretionary" travel. Basically wait until the near the last minute and see what's on Hotwire and/or put in a lowball Priceline bid - in both cases you're looking for a 4* hotel (downtown).

I've gotten at least one really sweet deal (something like 25-30% of the rack rate) and generally (when successful, which isn't 100% of the time) end up with something in the 50-65% range (when it gets much higher than than I usually "punt.")

If you decide you want to go this route, check back in. There's a few websites you should review before doing things on these blind sites (and a few other things to consider).

3) In terms of "close to Indy." Here's a few locations to consider:

a) I'd be remiss if I didn't mention Bloomington - about an hour south of Indy. Won't go into all the details of what's around, but there are a handful of B&Bs, a few in the downtown area. Check out the Bloomington forum in you want to know more about it (somewhere on there is a thread on web resources to learn more about Bloomington).

b) It's probably beyond your drive time, but I'll also mention the restored hotels in French Lick/West Baden. They did a super job on both of them and the dome is particularly impressive. There is *no doubt* in my mind either of them would make a special time.

c) State parks? Yeah, the Inns aren't going to be as plush as (many) B&Bs, but they will kind of get you away from everything (many, most, all?) also have cabins available (ditto about not being as plush). The few that come to mind off the top of my head (all in my general area within a few hours south of Indy) are (in no particular order): McCormick's Creek, Brown County and Spring Mill.

d) Nashville. Again, lots of places to stay in Brown County - B&Bs, Tourist Homes (like a B&B, but without breakfast), Cabins, etc. Certainly would be low-key and (like Bloomington) is ~1 hour south of Indy. No doubt a trip to Nashville would get you "away from it all."

Anyway - there's a few ideas - hope they help,

hlo

Muncie, Indiana
Level Contributor
366 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Romantic night away/Bed and Breakfast

Thanks for your help! I will look into some of the ideas you've given. At 8 months pregnant.. I think I do want the more "plush" amenities as you put it. Just because comfort is a big deal... ordinarily I love the idea of state parks and cabins. We usually go to Gatlinburg, TN for our anniversary and always get a cabin and go hiking in the park. But we are afraid to be too far from home.. in case anything happens. I have looked at the top 20 and reviews on here...and even places in brown county/bloomington area.. when I wasn't pregnant we frequented Oliver Winery and loved going down to the park. We also this past October, used priceline to get a really nice hotel downtown Indy for a great price. We may go that route again, if we can't find a bed and breakfast/romantic place that we like. So I was just hoping for some advice and thoughts on places that other people have stayed at or have heard good things about.

I will check out that one in zionsville, too! Thank you!

Edited: 12:27 pm, February 14, 2012
Bloomington, Indiana
4 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Romantic night away/Bed and Breakfast

Grant Street Inn in Bloomington is wonderful! We stayed their for our anniversary. The breakfast is amazing (we want to go back just for the granola). Lots of fun local restaurants/shops too, and easy parking for downtown Bloomington.

chandler, Indiana
Level Contributor
77 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Romantic night away/Bed and Breakfast

My son and I just came back from Muncie for the state archery tournament this past weekend. We stayed at the McDowell-Nearing B&B in Muncie, and it was absolutely fabulous! Jane is the owner and she is so welcoming and helpful - and a great cook! :)

She had fresh baked cookies when we arrived, chocolates in our room, and the bed was awesome! For a queen sized bed, we had four fluffy pillows; there were four very plush towels in the en-suite bathroom; there were full, spa-like bath robes in the closet; and the room even had a remote-controlled fireplace! It was very cozy, super clean and felt very posh!

The guest rooms are all upstairs. Downstairs, she has a communal living room with a large television and very cushy couches, a "library" stocked with a wall of books and even a few board games, and the dining room where you eat breakfast and grab snacks like microwave popcorn, granola bars, and complimentary drinks (soda, bottled water, hot chocolate, tea and/or coffee). I think you can also choose to eat in your room, but I'm not totally sure about that. You do, however, get to choose when you want to eat breakfast, which is nice, because you get your breakfast fresh when you want it!

Jane was there if we needed anything, but also left us to ourselves when we didn't. Being our first B&B experience, we thought it was fabulous! I think it would be a very nice place for a romantic getaway with your husband! (And, you wouldn't have to drive that far to enjoy it, either!) I posted a review on TA that hasn't yet shown up, but you can look up the B&B and read others' reviews. Her website is also a good representation of what the home/rooms look like.

If you want to actually get away from Muncie, the other B&B I was looking at staying at was the Winchester Guest House Inn B&B in Winchester. Didn't (obviously) end up staying there, mainly because we were coming from the opposite direction, but it sounded really nice and also had good reviews. It also has an indoor pool and spa services available, which might be nice, if you're able to enjoy them - being pregnant and all.

6. Re: Romantic night away/Bed and Breakfast

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:02 pm, June 07, 2013