We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting from Lafayette to Downtown Indianapolis

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
438 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Getting from Lafayette to Downtown Indianapolis

I just found out my hotel this weekend is in Lafayette. There doesn't appear to be any public transportation from that area and all the park and ride areas are booked up as far as I can tell. I'm feeling a bit screwed at the moment. What are my options? Will have access to a car but had hoped to be able to park it on Friday and not use it again till Monday. What I wouldn't give for our seemingly-inadequate MBTA in Indy right now! Help!!!

Mentioned in this post
Lafayette
Lafayette
Indiana
Bloomington, Indiana
Destination Expert
for Bloomington
Level Contributor
8,981 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting from Lafayette to Downtown Indianapolis

Not 100% certain, but I would imagine there is an airport shuttle service from Indy to Lafayette (or at least West Lafayette). Still means you've got to get to the airport, but that shouldn't be too hard.

These airport shuttle services are a neat little thing to keep in mind when you're traveling in areas that don't have good transit and one of the cities has a large airport.

There might also be Greyhound or other bus service, but don't know any details about that either. The bus terminal in Indy is downtown so if there is bus service & the times work out, that might be easier than trying to get to the airport.

So, I'd give google a shot and see if you can't come up with a shuttle and/or bus - good luck.

Lastly, you might also post on the Lafayette forum as from a "destination" standpoint, I would think "Lafayette" would probably know more about the options than "Indianapolis."

Hope this helps,

hlo

Mentioned in this post
Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
33 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting from Lafayette to Downtown Indianapolis

You can try Lafayette Limo: http://www.lafayettelimo.com/. They might be willing to work with you in light of the Super Bowl. I also agree with the above comment - Greyhound may be a good option as well. Good Luck and enjoy our city!

Elkhart, Indiana
Level Contributor
118 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Getting from Lafayette to Downtown Indianapolis

I sure you already have but the first place I’d check would be your hotel.

Indianapolis
Level Contributor
314 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Getting from Lafayette to Downtown Indianapolis

Personally, I think it might be easiest to just drive. I know that's not the answer you want to hear. But, the drive shouldn't be that bad. From Lafayette to Indy, it's a rural interstate, and an easy drive. The only hassle will be finding parking once you get to Indy. Check out this website for street closures and parking options:

indianapolissuperbowl.com/getting-around-dow…

Hope you enjoy your stay.

Fishers, Indiana
Level Contributor
940 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Getting from Lafayette to Downtown Indianapolis

Here is another vote for driving yourself.

checking out the parking link at MIssyMeg's link above, it comes up with two choices. Yellow garage E would be perfect for you. Northern edge of downtown, a short ride to a couple of entrance ramps to 65 north and back to Lafayette. That garage looks to be right next to the lot where we parked for the Final Four last year. About a brisk 10-12 minute walk to the stadium.

If you park around there, here is a hint that might work to get you to the freeway quicker. Senate is a two way street that runs north from the back of the Capital building. Take it north under 65 to you get to 16th street. Senate ends there at Methodist Hospital. Take a left on 16th, then take the first right to run between 65 and the hospital. There is a well marked entrance ramp at 21st Street. This route has the possibility to keep you out of some of the longer traffic lines.

Regardless of where you park, something north of downtown is your best bet for heading back to Lafayette. Anything along Illinois (one way north), Meidian (two way), Capitol (one way south) or Senate (two way) works for you.

Enjoy the game.

Mentioned in this post
Lafayette
Lafayette
Indiana
Illinois
Illinois
United States
Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
831 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Getting from Lafayette to Downtown Indianapolis

Check with the Indianapolis Motor Speedway about shuttle service from there todowntown on game day

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
438 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Getting from Lafayette to Downtown Indianapolis

Thanks everyone. Looks like we're going to do a combination of driving and maybe a special super bowl bus from Lafayette on Sunday. I know the city claims to be encouraging alternative means of transportation but they're not making it very easy on what I'm sure will be a very boozy weekend for many. The timetables for shuttles and buses are not very good (and greyhound was pretty BAD actually.) One last question: The info web sites make it look like you should reserve a space in a parking lot downtown if you're driving in. Will that really be necessary on Fri/Sat do you think? I can't believe the rates for parking (anywhere) on Sunday (which is why we may just take the bus for $68 each). And I thought Foxboro was bad. . .

Mentioned in this post
Lafayette
Lafayette
Indiana
Fishers, Indiana
Level Contributor
940 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Getting from Lafayette to Downtown Indianapolis

In my opinion I don't think it will be necessary to reserve a space on Friday or Saturday. I work downtown and haven't seen a shutout of parking spaces all week. Many companies are having employees work from home on Friday so I don't think you will have an issue on those two days.

I somewhat understand the supposed crunch on Sunday, but Indy regularly handles a full house at Lucas Oil Stadium on Sundays with plenty of parking and with very few people staying in hotels downtown. I guess if there are thousands of people without tickets staying downtown we will have an issue.

I will try to update this thread with what I see on parking Thursday and Friday morning.

Mentioned in this post
Lucas Oil Stadium
Lucas Oil Stadium
1,373 Reviews
Indianapolis, IN
Boston, MA
Level Contributor
438 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Getting from Lafayette to Downtown Indianapolis

ysuindy: Fantastic. Thanks a lot.

I keep hoping it's maybe like when we had the Democratic National Convention here and everyone was so panicked at how crowded it would be that the locals all left town and it was actually a nice time to be in Boston!

Mentioned in this post
Boston
Boston
Indiana
Fishers, Indiana
Level Contributor
940 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Getting from Lafayette to Downtown Indianapolis

The vibe I get from most locals is we are having our fun now through maybe Friday. After that, we don't want any part of what is going on down here unless we have game tickets. You might get your wish. :)