We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

indianapolis 500

Which Indianapolis hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
christchurch new...
Level Contributor
47 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
indianapolis 500

We are travelling from new zealand to attend the Indianapolis 500. .

My husband will attend the race and I would like to go shopping. Where is a good place to stay ? Is it easy to travel from downtown to the race track independantly? We would like to stay somewhere with a pool.

We will drive from Chicago.

Thanks for any help.

Memmi

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
826 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: indianapolis 500

Not sure what places downton have pools. You might check into the new JW Marriott complex. I would reccomend getting reservations NOW because hotels do fill up FAST for that week/weekend. Drive race morning will be busy. On a normal day it would take 15-20 minutes from downtown to track. Expect about an hour race morn depending on when you leave. If race start is noon I would suggest leaving round 8 am. If you get there by 9 or 10 there are plenty of ways to kill to around the Hall of Fame Museum inside the track. try to be in your seats by 11 am to see all the prerace pageantry. Consider getting to town by Fri for Carb Day. Last practice for the IndyCars, Freedom 100 for indyLights and a concert by Lynard Skinard all for the price of $20. On Saturday downtown is the 500 festival Parade. Typical parade with all 33 drivers but kind of fun. reserved seats are available. Expect downtown traffic to be at a standstill then from about 9 am to noon. Downtown sgopping would be the Circle Centre Mall. 3 story shopping mall all enclosed. Take time to wander around downtown. Safe and easy to find around. Plenty of museum, sights, food, drink, and fun!! Question? Scott Dixon fan???

christchurch new...
Level Contributor
47 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: indianapolis 500

Thanks for all that information indyob. Really great. Intend doing some bookings this afternoon. Yes, of course we are Scott Dixon fans!! Who else is there?

We appreciate very much that you went to such lengths to inform us.

Cheers

Memmi

Indianapolis
Level Contributor
312 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: indianapolis 500

Downtown Indy is a good option, but you also might want to look at the Zionsville/Carmel area. There are several nice hotels in the Michigan Ave - 465 area. It's pretty close to the Motor Speedway, and close to a couple of good malls - The Fashion Mall and Castleton.

If you want more information about this option, just let me know.

christchurch new...
Level Contributor
47 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: indianapolis 500

Thanks MissyMeg for your helpful information. There's no doubt local knowledge is the best way to get good advice. We are now booked in a downtown hotel, but will have a look at Zionsville/Carmel when we are in town and consider it for a future visit and to advise friends who plan to come to the race.

Cheers

Memmi

Indianapolis
Level Contributor
312 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: indianapolis 500

You're welcome. Memmi. I think you'll really enjoy downtown. You'll be able to walk to a lot of places. If you stayed in the suburbs, you'd have to drive everywhere.

Circle Center Mall is the obvious choice for shopping downtown, but Massachusetts Ave is another good option. It is several blocks away from the center of downtown, but I think it's worth the trip (you might want to drive or grab a cab). Mass Ave has some unique, independent stores. Two of my favorites are Silver in the City and Global Gifts.

Hope you have a great trip.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
112 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: indianapolis 500

I met Dixon's mom and sister at a dive bar in broad ripple area called Connor's Pub----- good people. You guys should be very excited to be going to such a great experience. Make sure you take in some of Chicago on your trip.

christchurch new...
Level Contributor
47 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: indianapolis 500

Thanks ccw007. We are looking forward to it. Always get excited visiting the USA. We have 7 weeks this time so intend having a good look at Chicago then going over to the East coast and driving from Washington to Maine. Then over to Montreal, New York again and flying over to Seattle and driving to San Fran via Las Vagas. Any ideas for things to do or look at in the Chicago area?

Cheers

1 post
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: indianapolis 500

Hi Memmi I have applied for tickets but yet to hear. I am really hoping to get there for the 26 May 2013 race. It will be such a cool trip to do. Hope your trip went well. Nick

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
513 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: indianapolis 500

A downtown hotel will be easiest for hubby to get to race. I wouldn't stay up in the north burbs. Everything you want will be right downrtown.

They have park and rides around the zoo downtown. You don't have to park to take the bus but you do have to reserve as soon as reservations become available. The airport park and rides sell out fast not certain about the Zoo one.

Chicago area. Shed's aqaurium. Museum of Science and Industry, art museum, Millinium Park, boat rides out on to Lake Michigan, Architectural boat tour on the Chicago river, Millinium Park, theater district, dine at a world class Michellin starred restaurant.

Enjoy your time here in the states.

I just adore Scotty I could listen to his sexy voice all day and nt ;p.

10. Re: indianapolis 500

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:17 pm, December 14, 2013