We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

indy 500

Anchorage, Alaska
1 post
Save Topic
indy 500

is it possible for a family to park near/not so near the track and then ride bikes in? Would there be space on the sidewalks/roads?

Indianapolis
Level Contributor
314 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: indy 500

I'll give you my opinion, but I've only been to the 500 once. Maybe someone who knows more about it will give you better advice later on.

Personally, I wouldn't try it. IMO, the area around the track is a zoo on race day. There are so many cars and so many pedestrians, I think it would be difficult for a family on bikes to stick together and navigate through the crowds safely. You can park in the neighborhoods near the track and walk in, though. Many people in the area sell parking in their yards. I would recommend that.

2. Re: indy 500

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 2:05 pm, January 26, 2011
Edited: 2:05 pm, January 26, 2011
Indy
Level Contributor
146 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: indy 500

I don't believe this is doable. The Central Indiana Bicycle Association (CIBA) provides pedal and park service at several Indianapolis events (such as the State Fair), but I don't believe this service is provided at the track. I don't think there would be any place to park the bikes and it would not be safe to actually ride anywhere in the immediate vicinity of the track due to the density of pedestrian traffic and car traffic.

Indianapolis
Level Contributor
132 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: indy 500

Really bad idea. It is so congested with traffic and people on foot that there is really no way for you to navigate the crowds..plus, it wouldn't be safe to do so. You would end up walking the bikes.

Bloomington, Indiana
Destination Expert
for Bloomington
Level Contributor
8,981 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: indy 500

Consider this a, "me too." There will be hundreds of thousands of people walking, driving, etc. in & around the speedway; just don't see how biking will be a practical transportation option.

hlo

catonsville...
Level Contributor
2 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: indy 500

No I don't think you'd want to bike to the speedway. You would be taking your life in your hands for sure. The area is clogged with cars on race day, and most of them are looking to get a parking spot, not looking for pedestrians or cyclists. After the race I guess many would be astonished to realize the number of peole drivng home from the track that are over the legal limit alcohol wise. No place for a family on bicycles.

Indianapolis, IN
Level Contributor
115 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: indy 500

Race day around the track resembles Times Square on New Years Eve. That gives you an idea of how crowded it will be. Wall to wall to wall people. Everyone trying to get in the track, cars trying to navigate, police directing traffic, scalpers, people selling earplugs, tee shirts, food, headsets, lanyards, parking places, etc... it's a crazy place.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
14 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: indy 500

Bikes are not practical for this environment. Just too many people crowded on the streets. There is plenty of parking within walking distance, so long as you can tolerate a walk of a mile or more. You need to coordinate your parking spot or shuttle drop off with your entry gate as the walk around the track can be several miles in the wrong direction! The two large lots, the Pepsi lot and the North lot, are closer to the far ends of the track from the start. We park on people's lawns for around $20 and if you go a block off the main streets the price drops fast. If you want Paddock seats you should plan on pre-paid parking on that side, or a shuttle that gets you closer. Once you have the lay of the land Indy is easy.

Remember that Indy 500 is a great historic event and an American happening well worth the trip. The start of the race gets an amazing patriotic build up and when the cars roar off three abreast at the start it is an awesome moment that can bring tears to your eyes!

Bloomington, Indiana
Destination Expert
for Bloomington
Level Contributor
8,981 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: indy 500

Ummmm, just to point out. The OP's question was from January *2011* and thus basically a year old.

Not saying adding additional information to stale threads isn't worthwhile (for future readers) just that it (generally) won't do the OP any good and the real value of reviving old threads should be considered before doing it.

Now, let's just pray this doesn't become a zombie thread,

hlo

10. Re: indy 500

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:19 am, January 08, 2013