We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Indianapolis 500

Which Indianapolis hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Toronto, ON Canada
Level Contributor
27 posts
56 reviews
Save Topic
Indianapolis 500

We are planning to go to the Indy 500 in 2006. We've booked our flights. Where should we stay? Do we need a car?

Fishers, Indiana
Level Contributor
898 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Indianapolis 500

You can get away without a car if you stay at one of the downtown hotels. IndyGo bus service offers a shuttle from downtown to the track for around $15 or $20 round trip. You can walk to just about any place else downtown - lots of hotels and restaurants.

If you are coming for more than a few days and want to go out to the track several days you might be better off with a car. You could likely get a better price on a hotel out around 465.

If you stay downtown - the new Conrad Hilton should be open be race day. Most major chains are downtown. There are some lower priced downtown - Hampton, Best Western, etc.

Attendance at the 500 has really fallen off and you no longer need to pay through the nose for a hotel.

California
Level Contributor
1,045 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Indianapolis 500

was just in Indy, downtown is about 6 miles, 15 minute drive to the Speedway, drove on local streets, very safe. Downtown is the higher end hotels, I stayed at the Hyatt, nicely remodeled rooms and still renovation going on. I never have a problem with the Omni either. I'm sure there will be shuttles from downtown to the track. One of the ladies at the gift store at the speedway said employees have to be at work at 3am race day, they expect 300,000 people milling about.

Toronto, ON Canada
Level Contributor
27 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Indianapolis 500

This is some great information. Thank you both.

We have now decided that we are going to rent a car. We want to stay close to the track. We are flying in Friday early evening and flying out Monday. Apparently, Saturday night has some fun stuff at the track too. Have you been there?

California
Level Contributor
1,045 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Indianapolis 500

I was not there for any race event, just the tour and museum. I don't know how easy it would be to park close to the Speedway, but I am sure every place in Indy will have something going on. My friend told me everyone in the city gets into the race as they have checkered flags flying on every house and street corner.

Indiana
Level Contributor
85 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Indianapolis 500

Hello, I live near Indianapolis and work probably 2 miles from the track, so I thought I might be able to help you. I am not sure what you are used to, but the hotels very close to the track are not "luxury" hotels. Now, I must admit I haven't stayed in any of them, but if you are used to a more upscale hotel, you would be better off downtown. However, if you just want a place to sleep and are not interested in extra amenities, the hotels right around the track would be great. If you let me know, I will be more than happy to give you some suggestions. You will most likely need to book early. Good Luck and hope you enjoy your visit to Indy. It is really a great city.

Indpls
1 post
Save Reply
6. Re: Indianapolis 500

I would recomend staying downtown. The amenities downtown are fantastic. Great food, shopping and hotels. It is a very safe city and everything is within walking distance. I had severaly family members in for my wedding last year and they could not believe how "wonderful" downtown Indy was. I'm not sure about the availability of transportation to the track from downtown, but I'm sure your hotel will be more than happy to help arrange transportation. Look at the downtown Marriott...Great hotel.

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
819 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Indianapolis 500

I live and work fairly close to the Indianapolis Motor Speedway. Depending on what you want to do I would say downtown is the best. I would definitely get a car. You shouild also try to get a Thursday flight into Indy if possible. Friday is Carb Day!! The last days they test out the cars for the race. Entrance I believe is $20.00 which includes the practice session, The Infinity Pro race ( a hundred mile sprint) the pit stop competition, and a band afterwards (rumor going around it will be KISS but I sure that's what it is only a rumor) You don't have to spend a dime once inside the track if you'de like to bring your own cooler (anything legal allowed except glass containers) Friday night downtown is usually a party with band sponsored by local radio station WFBQ fm. Saturday is The 500 festival parade (seats $10 and up or find a place to stand. I think you can get inside the track on sat on go to the museum.Entry to the museum is $3.00-$5.00 and worth it if you love racing. Be sure to check out The Flag Room in the Brickyard Crossing Inn. It's just a little bar that a few local race fans regullary vist. You might even run into an Unser or two. I met a guy from Toronto about 12 years ago. He parked at my store one night before the 400. Since then he has made The 500, all but one 400 and The F 1 race. From parking at the store and sleeping in his car to now a regular guest in our home for those weekends. The 500 IS STILL the best race in the world. Have fun. I'll try to get back with you for some race parking tips

Metro Detroit
Level Contributor
16 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Indianapolis 500

Hi Everyone, myself and some girlfriends [not that kind =)] are also going to the Indy 500 this year.

For Indyob, or any other locals....

We are going more for the experience (I've heard a lot of great things about it). I started looking for hotels and need advice about whether to stay near the speedway or downtown. We'll be arriving Thurs. leaving after the race. Will there be more nightlife downtown (some dancing would be great) or by the speedway. Where does everyone hangout the days before the race?

Thank you!!

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
819 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Indianapolis 500

THE 500 IS STILL THE GREATEST RACE IN THE WORLD and I'm sure you'll love it!! The most nightlife (dancing) will be in the downtown area. Ike and Jonesy's(downtown) is a pretty fun place. Lots of places downtown. The advantage of staying downtown is that you don't have to drive. If you get in on Thurs that will get you time to get aquainted with the area. Indy easy to find your way around. FRIDAY be sure to go to CARB DAY at the track. Final practice for The IRL cars then along with The Infinity Pro race (a 100 miler), Pit Stop competion, and a band. Friday night WFBQ will have a concert, usually on Jackson St (downtown)Dancing in the streets and a lot of fun. Saturday is The 500 Festival Parade (downtown) Plenty of free places to stand or buy a seat.(info at The Indianapolis Motor Speedway website) Saturday night take a trip out towards the track for the night before The 500. Walk up Georgetown Rd between 16th and 30thPlenty of souveniers and concessions. Bring you own cooler filled with whatever your pleasure. The Indianapolis Police Dept. (IPD) is pretty lenient as long as long as your not completely out of control. Take a stroll thru The Coke Field. This is where al the campers are. In the Speedway area try Union Jacks (great pizza at Crawfordsville and High School Rds) or Kelly' Pub (10th and Lynhurst) Both are local racers habgouts. Also be sure to stop by The FlagRoom , the bar inside The Brickyard Crossing on the grounds of The Speedway. Nice little bar. No telling who will be in there. Last year Jim Nabors and Florence Henderson were there. Usually you can find one of the retired drivers there. I'm sure I'll make it in there Thurs/Fri/and Sat. Can help you with parking tips also for Sat night AND RACE DAY. If you don't have tickets to the race they can still be purchased at IMS. I prefer outside in Turn 1 or 2. DON'T LET A TICKET SCALPER OVER CHARGE YOU.Hope I helped Have fun

Indianapolis
Level Contributor
427 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Indianapolis 500

Wldflwr107:

Overall I think you are better situated for finding nightlife and other activities downtown than out by the track. Having said that, the night before the 500 is legendary for the debauchery which takes place outside the track grounds esp. on 16th Street and Georgetown Road. Although it is much tamer than a few years back, you can find trouble if you want it. Someone else can correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the last day of practice at the track now falls on Friday rather than Thursday. It's called Carb Day and there is usually a live concert, the pit-stop competitioner and other activities on site following final practice.