We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

They call me MR 500

Kentucky
7 posts
Save Topic
They call me MR 500

Monday at 3:45 was one more step in a journey that started when i read that book...I was sitting in a 362 CI 600 HP indy car. my instructions " this is the gas/brake and clutch follow the line of the car in front of you and have fun. off we go we stayed low thru turn one and two entered the back straight flat out. all nerves are gone replaced by sheer excitment. drift up to the wall in three, dart to the bottom, short shute, drift up on four ,dart down. at this point i find myself driving 125 MPH down the main straight at the Indianapolis motor speedway in a open wheeled car.. I have not felt that alive in years!!!!!!!

next stop carb day

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
1,147 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: They call me MR 500

Very cool. Would love that experience myself - maybe next year ...

Have hit 120 on the main straight in my family car, but nowhere near the same feeling as being in a race car. Even then, it felt as though the straight was only twelve feet wide.

I've driven the "Track Attack" open cockpit SCCA Spec Racers on Indianapolis Raceway Park's road course for about fifteen laps - but I think we only touched 100 mph near the end of the drag strip portion of the track - and it felt as though I was doing 250. A HUGE difference being in a race car and a large sedan.

What was it like turning left at 125 after flying down the main straight? I slowed down well before I got into the turn, and took it only at about 75 - could too easily picture putting the family sedan into the wall on a courtesy "fun lap" (late summer of 2002). The foreign exchange student riding with us was screaming the whole way down the straight and into the turn - added a different dimension to the experience.

Dave

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
826 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: They call me MR 500

Friend of mine did the drive on Monday also. He said he averaged 101. Couldn't believe the feeling of being so low and the banking of the turns. Was well worth the $399.00 and might do it again. He will neer make fun of the 33rd qualifier again. "anyone who can go around that place at 200 plus get my respect"

Missed you at The FlagRoom. We left a bit early. The golfers came in there and got noisy

Kentucky
7 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: They call me MR 500

we did not get in till about four. It take longer to drive to indy when you are only turning left. stayed in 202 great choice thanks

Westfield, Indiana
Level Contributor
394 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: They call me MR 500

Great thread! And just in time for the month of May!

I've not had the opportunity to drive at IMS, but was fortunate enough two years ago to ride in the back seat of the Indy Racing Experience two seater.

Bryan Herta was my driver and I was amazed at the effortless speed of the car which was an actual IRL car that had been stretched to allow for the passenger. Supposedly it is capable of speeds over 220 mph, but we were limited to slightly more than 180 mph. Plenty fast enough for me to realize you have to be slightly insane and possess a pair of great big brass ones to run at race speeds in traffic like they do. The thought of hitting the wall at that speed is unfathomable.

Hope to "see" everybody at the race.

atj

5. Re: They call me MR 500

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:16 pm, August 30, 2009