We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ideas for a 14 year old

Mashantucket...
Level Contributor
65 posts
92 reviews
Ideas for a 14 year old

My husband grew up in Goshen but hasn't been there since the late 80's. We will be spending a day there in June. By chance it will be the day that my youngest turns 14. I'm trying to come up with something to make the day special for him. I'm considering the shooting range - I'm not sure about him but my husband and older son will love it. Any other ideas?

He likes cooking, tech, computers, and film production type stuff. We will be heading back towards CT that night, so hotel recommendations that can accommodate 2 adults that are over 6 foot tall would be appreciated as well.

Thanks in Advance.

8 replies to this topic
Canton, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Ohio, Garden City Beach, Surfside Beach
Level Contributor
3,970 posts
285 reviews
1. Re: Ideas for a 14 year old

A shooting range sounds fun, but you know you son so if you think he won't enjoy it, perhaps not the best thing to celebrate his birthday... (Has he ever shot before, or shown interest?)

Looks like laser tag is about a half hour away and it is also a skating rink. (I haven't been to this facility.) http://www.ebysfamilyfun.com/

I have a curve ball suggestion: Drive 3 hours to Sandusky, OH and let your son celebrate his 14th birthday, or the day after at Cedar Point. (This could be a fun stop on the drive back to CT.) https://www.cedarpoint.com/

A computer stop your son may enjoy on the way home would be Microcenter on the east side of Cleveland. http://www.microcenter.com/

Here is a map with these suggestions for reference: http://goo.gl/maps/DYiod

Have a fun and safe trip!

Mashantucket...
Level Contributor
65 posts
92 reviews
2. Re: Ideas for a 14 year old

The 3 boys do paintball a lot but our state has weird gun rules so he doesn't get the chance to shoot real guns often. We are going to be at Cedar Point for the 2 days prior as our family vacation. I was trying to find something for us to do on that day to make the trip something more than a "watch dad try to remember where the house that lived in when he was 5 is." LOL

Elkhart, Indiana
Level Contributor
118 posts
8 reviews
3. Re: Ideas for a 14 year old

I’m a bit out of touch with activities for a 14 year old but here are two suggestions.

As far as a shooting range a new indoor state of the art shooting range open last year in Goshen, it’s called Shot To Thrill Shooting Range. They do have guns you can to rent.

There are several nice bike or walking trails out of Goshen. One runs from town along the Millrace, through Shanklin Park out to the Dam, through Goshen College campus and out to Waterford about 6 miles.

Another one is the Pumpkinvine nature trail it’s 19 miles long. Starting in Goshen it runs through Middlebury and ends in Shipshewana. Many Amish use it to commute between Middlebury in Shipshewana. IMHO a very nice trail, I ride it at least twice a month.

Goshen is bike friendly with several other paths around town. I know you can rent bikes in Middlebury and I’m sure the same is true in Goshen.

Hopefully others will chime in with others Ideas for you.

confire

Granger, Indiana
Level Contributor
55 posts
37 reviews
4. Re: Ideas for a 14 year old

A tour of Notre Dame after seeing the movie Rudy, might be fun. Active events include the noon public ice skating through out the year. Check Notre Dame Compton Family Ice Arena ice schedule. Throughout the summer Notre Dame has a wide variety of youth sports camps that you can watch on our campus tour.

Elkhart, Indiana
10 posts
5. Re: Ideas for a 14 year old

The downtown section of Goshen is actually very nice in the early summer. Lots of small shops and eateries along Main St. along with a very nice and large bookstore that also sells card/tabletop/board games. Even has a cafe inside it. The biking trails are always popular before it gets hot and humid in July and even a nice day at Ox Bow Park might work if you like the outdoors outdoor. If your looking to do something that feels like a summer activity, I believe Ideal Beach will be open when you come through, its been years since I've been but always had a blast there and its only 30 minutes north in Elkhart (you can take one road from Goshen to get there). If you want to travel a bit further, go to Notre Dame. If you've never been it's really something special to see the Golden Dome and Touchdown Jesus. Walking friendly and a TON of new eateries and shops have been popping up there the past few years.

Coldwater, Michigan
Level Contributor
1 post
86 reviews
6. Re: Ideas for a 14 year old

I would agree with cedar point stop or kalahari water park not much in northern east indiana of any real exitement for that age group

Bloomington, Indiana
Destination Expert
for Bloomington
Level Contributor
9,385 posts
22 reviews
7. Re: Ideas for a 14 year old

It's not in Goshen, but since we seem to have enlarged the area being considered (well, at least some responses have), I'll suggest the Fort Wayne Children's Zoo. While it has "children" in the name (and certainly has somethings geared towards them), I think it works well for older kids and adults too. It's about an hour & 15 minutes from Goshen.

In fact, once you discard the larger/"world class" zoos (San Diego, etc.) and start looking at smaller to mid-size zoos, it is one of my favorites.

Also, if there is any interest in automobiles there are the auto museum(s?) in the area; Auburn and ????

hlo

Edited: 10:32 am, March 11, 2015
8. Re: Ideas for a 14 year old

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 9:05 am, March 17, 2015

Reply to: Ideas for a 14 year old
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Goshen
Recent Conversations