We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Thanksgiving dinner - Bloomington, IN

central illinois
Level Contributor
3 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Thanksgiving dinner - Bloomington, IN

We usually go to Nashville, IN but would like to find a place in Bloomington - any ideas?

Bloomington, Indiana
Destination Expert
for Bloomington
Level Contributor
8,703 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Thanksgiving dinner - Bloomington, IN

Nothing off the top of my head, but I'll try to do a some investigation in the next couple of days. That said, pretty sure bet at least some restaurants, hotels, etc. will have something going on. You might want to check and see if the Tudor Room at the Indiana Memorial Union has anything going on (being at a hotel I think there is a greater chance they'll have something special).

Also, is there anything special you're looking for? I presume the "standard" sort of T-day buffet or something, but it's worth knowing if you have any special requests, requirements, budget, etc.

I'll see what I can come up with, hopefully something that will fit your bill,

hlo

Bloomington, Indiana
Destination Expert
for Bloomington
Level Contributor
8,703 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Thanksgiving dinner - Bloomington, IN

Got some time to do a little poking around. First the bad news, I didn't find much, I'm guessing it is still a little early to plan for this year's Thanksgiving.

That said here's a few things I can report:

1. As I suspected, the Tudor Room at the Indiana Memorial Union (student union building on IU campus) does appear to have a Thanksgiving buffet.

About all I can say beyond that is that they recommend reservations. So you can check it out on your own (presumably they will eventually have some details on T-day dining), here's their webpage: www.imu.indiana.edu/dining/tudorroom.shtml.

I can say that I have fond memories of the Tudor room growing up, but the few times I've eaten there in the last 5-10 years, it hasn't impressed me as much. Can't say that's because it's not as good as it used to be or if I'm simply less awed as an adult. I would think this would be a very "traditional" type T-day meal.

2. Here's a forum posting discussing this topic last year that I found: http://chowhound.chow.com/topics/123465. It mentions some of the "usual suspects" for this type of thing among Bloomington restaurants and think this list should remain about the same for this year.

3. In terms of the "usual suspects" here's a short list of restaurants you might want to check out (I'm leaving off the cliche of eating chinese, japanese, etc. on a holiday), it's primarily geared toward those considered as Bloomington's "fine dining." In no particular order (and forgive me if I missed any, doing this off the top of my head): Restaurant Tallent, FARM Bloomington, Scholar's Inn, Limestone Grill, Chapman's, and Truffles.

Don't know specifically about any of them being open/closed and/or have anything special planned. I will add that, based on the idea that one man's meat is another man's poison, I've included ones that I myself probably wouldn't go to for various reasons. None of my reasons are so major that I would advise people to never patronize the restaurant, just that I would prefer to eat/spend my money elsewhere. Furthermore, I know (lots?) of people that would recommend those that I would steer you away from.

Beyond that you might check some of the general restaurant websites. I'm thinking Urbanspoon (my go to site), Yelp (which I avoid, but other's swear by), Chowhound, etc.

If you want any additional information on anything above, post away and I'll try to respond. Also, I would expect the local paper to have something on T-day dining options at some time, but that's likely to be only a few days (maybe a week) before Thanksgiving (or at least after Halloween). If/when I see this, I'll try to post something; but that might be too late for true advance planning on your part.

Hope this helps,

hlo

USA
Level Contributor
1,103 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Thanksgiving dinner - Bloomington, IN

We ate at the Tudor Room Buffet last Thanksgiving. It wasn't amazing, but was quite good, and the atmosphere/ambiance was extremely pleasant, and the price pretty reasonable.

4. Re: Thanksgiving dinner - Bloomington, IN

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:31 am, April 24, 2011