We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bloomington bus service announced

Bloomington, Indiana
Destination Expert
for Bloomington
Level Contributor
8,766 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Bloomington bus service announced

It's supposed to happen, but no exact details yet. The word is that Trailways will be running a bus service to Bloomington starting sometime in the near future (early 2010?). I don't remember all the details in the announcement, but as I remember there will be two buses each day; one northbound (to Indianapolis) and one southbound (to Evansville and/or Louisville?).

The Bloomington "station" will be in the heart of downtown at the Yellow Cab office, less than 1 block from the square.

Will try and provide more details as they become available.

hlo

western WA
Level Contributor
8,997 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bloomington bus service announced

I wonder how that will affect the shuttles? We've had good luck with the Star Shuttle lately.

Bloomington, Indiana
Destination Expert
for Bloomington
Level Contributor
8,766 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bloomington bus service announced

Think it will depend on the location of the Indy "station." The article in the paper made no indication regarding where the Indy stop will be, only the Bloomington stop.

Historically, it would probably be somewhere in downtown Indy and thus probably not practical as a method of getting from the Indy airport to Bloomington.

hlo

Bloomington, Indiana
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bloomington bus service announced

That's great news. Thanks for letting us know. I searched around and I found the website for the new service. Looks like it will start on Jan 1st. One daily bus in each direction from Indy to Evansville going through B-town. The pick up site in Bloomington is downtown at the cab shack. In Indy the pick up site is at the Greyhound station. So this should not affect the airport shuttles. It will be more of a connection service for greyhound or megabus passengers in Indy.

Here is the website:

www.burlingtontrailways.com/ticketing/

OC

Bloomington, Indiana
Destination Expert
for Bloomington
Level Contributor
8,766 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bloomington bus service announced

Just did a little poking myself and here's what I found out:

1) Yep, it will use the Indy Greyhound Station (350 S. Illinois, near Union Station). This is ~8-10 blocks from the Megabus stop (near City/County Building).

2) Looks like one bus a day B-town to Indy. Scheduled to leave Yellow Cab in Bloomington (1/2 block west of the Square on 6th Street) @ 6:50 pm and is scheduled for 1 hour and 5 minutes (arrive Indy 7:55 pm).

3) Looks like one bus a day Indy to B-town. Scheduled to leave Greyhound Station in Indy @ 9:15 am and is also scheduled for 1 hour and 5 minutes (arrive B-town 10:20 am). Presumably this is the bus you would take for Evansville & other points south of Bloomington.

4) Mid-week fare for an early January ride (round trip w/1 week stay in Indy) runs from $18 (child) to $24 (full fare adult). Didn't check one-way fares or whether the fare dropped if you were booking further out.

5) Here's a full list of the cities that show up being served from Bloomington: Bedford, Evansville, Loogootee, Martinsville, Mitchell, Orleans, Paoli, Princeton, Shoals, Vincennes, and Washington.

Hope this is helpful, might do more poking (& posting) later,

hlo

Edited: 3:17 pm, December 16, 2009
western WA
Level Contributor
8,997 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bloomington bus service announced

Any update on this bus? I can't find any actual fare information on it like you guys did.

Trying to figure a route from Milwaukee to Bloomington (or Indy at least) but not for a few months.

I can rent a car, but I was wondering if there was any other way. The Megabus sounds inconvenient.

Bloomington, Indiana
Destination Expert
for Bloomington
Level Contributor
8,766 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bloomington bus service announced

Ainwa,

Here's what I can tell you. Megabus definitely gets mixed reviews, some people hate it, others like it, and some tolerate or love it based on its (possible) super-cheap fares. If you book early enough, you can get a fare for as low as $1 (one-way, plus minor ticketing service charge). For example, my wife tried it last year for a semi-last minute trip to meet a friend in Chicago - round-trip fare - under $10 from Indy. For what it's worth, she gave it a fairly good review.

The main way Megabus keeps down its fares is that they don't have stations. They pick you up on the street and the only thing there is a small sign. Also, they are all essentially express routes; very few (if any) stops between the major cities they service.

Regarding your trip. You could take Megabus from Milwaukee to Indy and then catch the (new) local bus service. This would require a transfer in Chicago. I didn't check out everything, but it looks like they have up to 4 buses from Milwaukee to Chicago. Realistically, however, you'd probably only want to consider 3 of them (the 4th is a night owl, putting you in downtown Indy ~1:15am, something you'd probably want to avoid).

I didn't check out the options for the Chicago to Indy leg, but you can find out full details on their website: www.megabus.com. My guess is that if you could get a fare for the Milwaukee to Indy portion (Megabus) for as little as $5 (or less) and probably could keep it under $10 or $20 without any problem. It would be hard to buy gas for the trip much less than that (and, of course you'd also have the cost of the car rental).

Regarding the Indy to Bloomington leg. As pointed out my earlier post, the bad news is that the two bus "stations" in Indy aren't that close to each other. It's not so far that you couldn't walk it, but it's not like they're across the street from each other either. My guess is the fare for this leg would be in the $20 range. (Estimate of total Milwaukee to Bloomington fare in the $25 to $40 range.)

Beyond the information given above, you can find full details on the Indy-Bloomington bus service at: https://www.burlingtontrailways.com/.

I would expect your real "problem" with trying to do this will be the fact that the Indy-Bloomington bus leaves mid-morning making it difficult to get from Chicago to Indy in time to catch it.

Anyway, hope this is helpful,

hlo

western WA
Level Contributor
8,997 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bloomington bus service announced

Thanks for all the info!

Megabus sounds like it could be interesting -- I'll look into it further.

I guess I could take the green line to the airport to get the Star Shuttle from there. That's $30 RT. The bus is $24 RT, so it is cheaper. The shuttle runs at all hours, so it is probably easier to coordinate with the ride to and from Milwaukee.

Getting back to Milwaukee is a little odd given the timetables. I think I'd have to go only as far as Chicago -- not a city I'm at all familiar with! Still, I could probably get picked up there.

Bloomington, Indiana
Destination Expert
for Bloomington
Level Contributor
8,766 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Bloomington bus service announced

Minor correction. As I re-read my post I realized I indicated the 4th Milwaukee to Chicago bus ("night owl") put you in downtown Indy ~1:15 am; I hope it obvious this would put you in downtown CHICAGO at this time. I didn't check any of the Chicago to Indy bus runs.

Hope this error didn't cause any confusion,

hlo

9. Re: Bloomington bus service announced

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, July 03, 2010