We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Hotel Pool

Owensboro, KY
Level Contributor
34 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Best Hotel Pool

We will be visiting Bloomington in Mid July. Which hotel offers the best hotel pool for the kids?

Bloomington, Indiana
Destination Expert
for Bloomington
Level Contributor
9,015 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best Hotel Pool

Boy, I'd have to think about that one. I don't believe any of them are what I would term "excellent," but I'm sure some are probably better than others.

Do you have any preference re: indoor versus outdoor?

On the one hand outdoor would probably be better, but then if it happens to be raining while you're here . . . .

Owensboro, KY
Level Contributor
34 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best Hotel Pool

Either one would work in or out.

Thanks

Bloomington, Indiana
Destination Expert
for Bloomington
Level Contributor
9,015 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best Hotel Pool

Thought about this a little more and, while I can't give a definitive answer, here's a little more information.

First, I probably wouldn't let the pool totally drive your hotel selection. I don't think any hotel has a pool that would be so much better than any other ones as to make it worthwhile to drive your decision.

I'd weigh where you'd like to be into the calculation. There's about four cluster areas of hotels in the Bloomington area, decide which of these areas you want to stay and then consider which hotel has the best pool (and other general factors, such as TA reviews. price, etc). As far as this goes, I'd say consider what else you're doing in Bloomington and let the convenience of proximately have some weight in your decision. That's my $.02 on this general topic.

The main hotel cluster areas are: the westside (along SR 37), downtown (central), the northside and the eastside. That said, Bloomington is kinda small and none of these are more than a 5-10 minute drive from downtown (maybe 15 if you're farther out and traffic is heavy/slow). On the other hand, if for example, you're doing Lake Monroe stuff, the distances/driving times between the different areas could be more significant.

Unfortunately, I can't give any really good information on the westside hotels re: pools; I just don't have 1st (or even 2nd) hand knowledge on them. I do, however, believe all the pools are indoor (a quick look on Google Maps seems to confirm this, although the photo is so old that the Homewood Suites is still under construction).

As far as downtown, I have seen the Courtyard pool. It's pretty much a postage stamp size pool that is indoors. The Hilton (Garden?) is also downtown and TA says they have a pool, but while I've been there a couple of times for events, etc, I've never seen it. This leads me to think it is also a rather small indoor pool, but I can't say for sure.

Of the northside hotels, the only pool I think I've ever seen was in what is now the Crowne Plaza - in an earlier incarnation. It was a larger (relative term) indoor pool with a fairly large atrium poolside area. The Comfort Inn is adjacent to this hotel and may share the pool. As I said, however, this was a prior incarnation and there has supposedly been major renovations which may have changed the pool area. Believe all the other hotels in this area have indoor pools and would expect them to also be on the smaller side (particularly the more budget oriented hotels).

On the eastside, I'm all but 100% positive the The Summerhouse Inn's pool is outdoors (again, "confirmed" via Google maps).

That's about all the direct information I can give you regarding pools (as sparse as it is).

I will point out a few other things. The Fourwinds (which has at least a couple of recent poor reviews) is near Lake Monroe and had/appears to have (via Google) an outdoor pool as well as proximately to Lake Monroe swimming. Perhaps not obvious, but this will put you a fair distance from Bloomington re: drive times (off the top of my head probably 1/2 hour or so). Also, while I believe it is under new management, the recent reviews should reflect this and . . . .

Similarly, there is the public swimming option; obviously less than ideal re: convenience, but would without a doubt give the kids a "superior swimming experience." There's at least 3 options here: IU pool (northside), Bryan Park pool (near southside) and, as mentioned before, Lake Monroe (and some other lakes, but Monroe is probably the closest/has the most options).

Hope this is helpful,

HLO

Mentioned in this post
Monroe Lake
Monroe Lake
135 Reviews
Bloomington, IN
Comfort Inn Bloomington
Comfort Inn Bloomington
382 Reviews
Bloomington, IN
Monroe
Monroe
Indiana
western WA
Level Contributor
8,997 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best Hotel Pool

The IU Northside pool looked nice. I drove by it in June.

I stayed at the Memorial Union hotel and really liked it. If you're going there for Orientation it can't be beat for location. There's a bowling alley in the Union to entertain the kids.

Owensboro, KY
Level Contributor
34 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best Hotel Pool

Just returned from Bloomington, stayed at the Holiday Inn Express at 3rd and 37. They had a nice, although small, indoor pool(good choice since it was a very cool for a July weekend) which was fine for my two kids 10 and 12. Very nice, new (couple years old?) hotel with very nice breakfast. Would recommend for families.

Thanks for the replies

Mentioned in this post
Holiday Inn Express Bloomington
Holiday Inn Express...
356 Reviews
Bloomington, IN
Bloomington, Indiana
Destination Expert
for Bloomington
Level Contributor
9,015 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best Hotel Pool

Thanks for the feedback. Who would have thought that when I asked about indoor versus outdoor that you'd be happy with an indoor because of the temp (rather then because of rain)!

I'd encourage you, if you haven't already, to add a review of the hotel to the TA entry for your hotel.

Glad it worked out for you . . . .

7. Re: Best Hotel Pool

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, January 17, 2010