We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

...Some Time Later/Living in Wheaton

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,312 posts
121 reviews
Save Topic
...Some Time Later/Living in Wheaton

Well, we tried Wheaton. We've decided not to buy here and are moving. The downtown area realy needs help. Many restaurants have closed and the new ones are terrible. We ate at the Cellar Bistro and both of us were very sick for days. Emilio's closed down. Not surprised, as the chef there wasn't too consistent. The Jewel closed down and is vacant. Even the White Hen, which was good for an emergency, is now a 7/11 and the shelves are practically empty. No deli. I'm sure that will close soon.

We live near a homeless shelter and have had some problems with the residents. The shelter closes their doors at 7. This leaves vagrants wandering around at all hours, many with serious mental health issues. A guy was passed out on the sidewalk at the train station, with an empty bottle of vodka next to him. I reported it to the police and they told me to contact the railroad police!

Now that there have been several accidents/suicides along the train tracks, Metra blows their whistles big time while passing through-everytime. Really gets on my nerves.

Downtown Wheaton is very family friendly, however. Just hasn't given us a reason to stay.

Wheaton, Illinois
Level Contributor
1 post
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: ...Some Time Later/Living in Wheaton

I completely disagree with this statement, and it really isn't helpful for people looking to visit or to find a home in Wheaton. The downtown is being redeveloped, so many places are closing to make way for new things. They are now almost completed with a five-story retail building with a second parking garage on the south side of the tracks. A vacant field is soon going to become 3 5-story condo/retail buildings. The library is one of the best in the country, and has doubled in size in the past couple of years. The school systems are great. I've only been to a couple of restaurants, but the food is great. The middle school one Roosevelt Road is going to be totally redeveloped in the next couple of years, hopefully bringing more businesses to the downtown area. Take it from a 7-year Wheaton resident that this is pretty much the best Chicago suburb other than Wheaton's larger counterpart, Naperville.

Tomball, Texas
Level Contributor
32 posts
379 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: ...Some Time Later/Living in Wheaton

I can’t comment on living in Wheaton as I live in neighbouring Naperville. But I have to say that we often visit on a Saturday and enjoy the shopping, French market and restaurants.

It’s a shame you feel Wheaton is no longer the place for you to live but I just hope that your statement does not put off new visitors, as its them spending money that will help to regenerate the town.

Personally I think it’s a pretty little town and well worth a visit.

3. Re: ...Some Time Later/Living in Wheaton

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

We're sorry - the TripAdvisor staff closed this topic because TripAdvisor does not facilitate discussions about relocation or real estate purchases because these topics are not considered to be travel-related.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:12 pm, October 19, 2008
Get answers to your questions about Wheaton