We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How safe is travel in Zimbabwe?

Peregian Beach...
5 posts
Save Topic
How safe is travel in Zimbabwe?

I am planning to fly to Harare, and from there visit my World Vision sponserd child. After that I wish to fly to Victoria Falls to meet up with other travel companions. The date of my travels will be around the 20 - 24th June 2013. I believe that National elections will be held there just before these dates. Should I go ahead with this visit, and what is the best and safest way to get from Harare to Victoria Falls?

10 replies to this topic
Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
1,539 posts
223 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How safe is travel in Zimbabwe?

Please take your trip and don't worry as foreigners are never affected by Zimbabwean politics. I hope that you enjoy your trip.

Peregian Beach...
5 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: How safe is travel in Zimbabwe?

Thank you for your encouragement for my travel. I still feel a little concerned but will take a lot of care. Looking forward to meeting the lovely people who live there.

From Jan

harare
8 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: How safe is travel in Zimbabwe?

Hi Jan,

there is still a lot of uncertainty about the election date. It will probably be somewhere by the end of October. Even though, travelling will be ok, a few more roadblocks, but overall policemen are friendly towards foreigners. people in general will give you all the assistance. Kind regards, andre. info@nyati.co.zw

Peregian Beach...
5 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: How safe is travel in Zimbabwe?

Thanks for this Andre. It is very encouraging to here that all should be well.

Best Wishes to you

from

Jan

Oxford, United...
Level Contributor
23 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How safe is travel in Zimbabwe?

I agree with the others - you will love Zimbabwe, and it is very safe for tourists. I wrote an article about it on my blog here: www.greatzimbabweguide.com/safe-in-zimbabwe/ - I hope it helps alleviate your fears.

The atmosphere may be a little more tense than usual if elections do take place during that time, but if it's your first time, chances are, you won't notice!

The quickest way to get from Harare to Victoria Falls is to fly - Air Zimbabwe is safe but there may be short delays. Another option is to use a tour company who will help with flights and accommodation in Vic Falls and Zimbabwe. All the best!

Peregian Beach...
5 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: How safe is travel in Zimbabwe?

Thanks so much Beth for taking the time to answer my question,

Yes I have a travel agent arranging my flight from Harare to Victoria Falls, and have now booked my accommodation in Harare, so it is all coming together very nicely.

Best wishes for your future travels,

From Jan

Brisbane
Level Contributor
386 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How safe is travel in Zimbabwe?

It's a wonderful country (government aside) the people are so friendly and are so eager to talk.

Peregian Beach...
5 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: How safe is travel in Zimbabwe?

Thank you for your message. I am really looking forward to my visit.

9. Re: How safe is travel in Zimbabwe?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 7:07 am, May 27, 2015

10. Re: How safe is travel in Zimbabwe?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 7:07 am, May 27, 2015

Reply to: How safe is travel in Zimbabwe?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Harare Province