We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Karonga

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
5,222 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Karonga

What will I find along the road from Songwe to Karonga? Villages, nothing?

What is available regarding supermarkets in either town?

Im just trying to get a rough idea where my employer plans to send me to.

Tks for any comments.

3 replies to this topic
1. Re: Karonga

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 8:05 am, June 14, 2013

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
3,164 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Karonga

Hi, I'm reposting as I missed the edit deadline.

<<supermarkets in either town?>>

Cant be specific, as I've never been that far north, but what I can say is that Songwe is no more than a border crossing, with next to no facilities. Karonga will be the nearest town where a "westerner" will find anything of use. With a population of 45000, and with the influx of Chinese traders in recent years, plus the development of the uranium mine, there is a good chance that there will be a Chinese (or Asian) "supermarket", to cater for the expats at the mine. There will be villages along the road where there are little "markets" with roadside stalls where you can buy fresh vegetables, eggs, chicken, goat meat, along with small items like soap etc, but I would advise against buying anything like this from a village stall, as it is likely to be of questionable origin! (a lot of fakes about)

http://www.wawamalawi.com/north-karonga

You will have the opportunity to visit Nyika NP, an area unique in Africa, there is nowhere quite like it., and of course the lake will provide superb leisure opportunities.

Ivan

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
5,222 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Karonga

Many tks. for the reply. The project will be a study for a road connecting Songwe/Karonga. Will make sure we will set up shop close to Karonga. Chinese supplies, hmmm... todays Africa.

Reply to: Karonga
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Northern Region