We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to live in Chicago

Maidenhead, UK
Level Contributor
21 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Where to live in Chicago

Hi Everyone

My boyfriend and I (both 28) are moving to Chicago at the end of the year with work, and I'm trying to get a handle on which neighborhoods we should be looking to rent in. I know this is a big question but I'm hoping you can offer some advice if I tell you what I'm looking for!

Our office is a long way out north in Vernon Hills, so we're looking to rent north of downtown rather than south to reduce the long commute a little. We need to be within a maximum 10-15 minute cab ride from lively nightlife as we go clubbing every weekend (funky house mainly). We are looking for a really nice apartment in a classy, safe, green area, and we will need parking for two cars. Our maximum rent will probably be about $2,200/month, although we might be able to stretch this if necessary.

I've been looking at Lincoln Sq, Albany Park, Lincoln Park, Logan Sq and West Town. Can anyone offer any advice on any of these neighborhoods? Guess I'm looking for a population that is a few years post-college, maybe 25-35 year olds. Am I looking at the right areas and is my rent estimate realistic for a nice place? Any other tips or information that might help me?

Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Chicago
Chicago
Illinois
Lincoln
Lincoln
Nebraska
Albany
Albany
New York
Lincoln Park
Lincoln Park
736 Reviews
Chicago, IL
bridgeport, ct
Level Contributor
475 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to live in Chicago

You are looking at the right neighborhoods.

I lived in both Lincoln Square and Logan Square. I really loved Lincoln Square. At first it seemed more remote than Logan Square did to me but then once there for a few weeks or months, I discovered all sorts of small pockets of bars and stores and restaurants that I hadn't noticed at first.

The big positive about Logan Square is its access to the blue line, since I travelled quite often from O'Hare airport, it was great to live there. Also, the blue line runs 24 hours while the brown line (which serves lincoln square) does not.

I found though, that the bus to the blue line served me well. I lived in both of those places without a car and found Lincoln Square much more walkable and pleasant. It also is possible to walk from that neighborhood to the much busier places that you might not want to live but would want to hang out in such as wrigleyville.

Out of all of the places I lived in chicago (including wicker park, the loop, logan square and lincoln square / roscoe village) I would recommend lincoln square.

Mentioned in this post
2. Re: Where to live in Chicago

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:17 pm, August 13, 2009