We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Chicago /Gary Trip

Which Lombard hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
High Point, North...
9 posts
Save Topic
Chicago /Gary Trip

My husband and I are planning a trip with my 8 year old nephew. We got cheap airfare with Skybus. We fly into Gary, IN. I am interested in tranportation from the airport to our hotel. We are staying Hyatt Place Chicago Lombard. I think the hotel is close enough to use the El. Any ideas or info on transporation and other ideas would be helpful. I though about purchasing the Chicago Citipass fro some activites. Thanks!!!

Shaker Hts, OH
Level Contributor
60 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Chicago /Gary Trip

Sounds like your trip will be fun. I too have been looking into taking the train and found that the South Shore train will go from Gary to Chicago. The It looks like you can pick it up right at the Gary airport. Use the link below to see the train schedules, cost etc. Once you are in Chicago, you might consider buying tickets for the hop on-hop off tour bus which you can use to get around on a one day pass. Rates are approx. 25.00 pp. Good Luck!

South Shore Train link:

http://www.nictd.com/

Illinois
Destination Expert
for Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
46,525 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Chicago /Gary Trip

Lombard is served by Metra trains, not the CTA. http://metrarail.com/Sched/cnw_w/cnw_w.shtml for details.

You will need to take the South Shore train downtown to Randolph St. Take a cab from there to the Metra Ogilvie station to catch a train to Lombard.

It's kind of a long haul to complete your journey. Perhaps you might want to rent a car at Gary.

pgo
Chicago
Destination Expert
for Chicago
Level Contributor
7,199 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Chicago /Gary Trip

I hate when hotels take the name of someplace they have no right to, like Hyatt Place Chicago Lombard. Lombard is not part of Chicago. It's a suburban area that is quite a drive from the city. The El does not go there, but the Metra train does run between Lombard and the west part of downtown.

Renting a car at the airport sounds like a solid idea. You'll need a car to go anywhere in the suburbs.

Citipass does not necessarily save you any money. Check the entry fees on the sites you want to see, and compare the prices.

High Point, North...
9 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Chicago /Gary Trip

I reserved the rental car today. Thanks for the help. Any advice on parking in the city?

Illinois
Destination Expert
for Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
46,525 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Chicago /Gary Trip

The Sterling Self-Park Garage

(located between Clark and LaSalle on Kinzie)

$24 per day

In by 7 a.m. out by 7 p.m. - $14

In by 9 a.m. out by 7 p.m. - $18 per day

After 3 p.m. and weekends - $6

Rates are a few dollars higher than listed above.

Also - www.MillenniumGarages.com

pgo
Chicago
Destination Expert
for Chicago
Level Contributor
7,199 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Chicago /Gary Trip

Where in the city are you headed, and are you traveling in spring or summer, weekday or weekend?

Expect to pay for parking where ever you go. Beware of "teaser" rates at private garages - a low rate for the first 30 minutes, then a huge jump in price. This is only a problem in the Loop (downtown). It's best to group your activities, find a spot to park and leave the car. Millennium Park garage (especially the eastern wing of it, the East Monroe garage) has parking for about $20 a day. Enter from Columbus Drive, north of Monroe Street. (There are other exits and entrances, but this one is easy to find.)

Some movie theaters, shops and restaurants offer discounted parking in return for spending money there. The garage in back of the 900 North Michigan mall (Michigan Avenue and Oak Street)used to be a good deal if you had your parking validated by one of the mall businesses. Does anyone here know what they are charging these days?

High Point, North...
9 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Chicago /Gary Trip

We have the car rental all squared away. If we would rather drive to a station and park. Then use the "EL" to get into the city, which station would closest to our hotel. And would this be recommended to avoid costly parking and heavy traffic?

Illinois
Destination Expert
for Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
46,525 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Chicago /Gary Trip

Are you still staying in Lombard?

You can park at the Forest Park CTA station and take the train in from there. http://www.transitchicago.com/maps/park.html

9. Re: Chicago /Gary Trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:20 pm, September 22, 2009