We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gurnee Mills and area?

Which Gurnee hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Indiana
Level Contributor
170 posts
131 reviews
Save Topic
Gurnee Mills and area?

My friends and I are thinking of coming to the Chicago area next weekend to celebrate my birthday. We've been to the Woodfield Mall area and really liked it, but we're trying to find someplace that maybe we haven't been. I've heard Gurnee Mills mall is great. Are there many other things in the area to do? I'm thinking restaurants, movie theaters, anything like that. How does it compare to the Woodfield area?

Racine, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
530 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Gurnee Mills and area?

The mall itself is great and has it owns theater Marcus Gurnee Mills. Mostly chain restaurants nearby and, of course, Great America, which will have Frightfest going on. Otherwise, don't think there is much else there. Different than all the stores, shopping and restaurants by Woodfield.

It sort of depends what you like. Another idea might be Long Grove village, I've never been but heard it is fun, too.

Happy Birthday, whatever you do. Always the best to spend it with friends, isn't it?

Racine, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
530 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Gurnee Mills and area?

If you do decide to go to Gurnee Mills, stop at the information desk, outside of Bass Pro shop and show a AAA card and you can get a coupon book with lots of savings.

Illinois
Destination Expert
for Chicago
Level Contributor
1,277 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Gurnee Mills and area?

It doesn't compare to Woodfield at all. Gurnee Mills is awful. The place looks like it hasn't been cleaned in a decade. The design is a long zig-zag hallway which will take a long time to walk. Locals (like me) avoid the place.

The surrounding restaurants are terrible. Other than Monkeydish on the other side of I-94, they are all chain restaurants that one could find almost anywhere else. Even so, expect the food served at the chains to be lower quality than you would find elsewhere and the service to be pathetic. After all, why should they try to be good? You won't be back tomorrow.

Indiana
Level Contributor
170 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Gurnee Mills and area?

Thanks for the replies. I'm glad I can get the real scoop from "insiders"! We've actually decided against Gurnee Mills and are heading to the Woodfield Mall area.

Chicago
5 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Gurnee Mills and area?

Another shopping haven on your way to Woodfield is OakBrook Mall. It is a beautiful upscale shopping experience. The flower beds in the courtyards a always lovely with seasonal plantings. There are too many restaurants to mention and you can hardly miss finding an above average meal with good to great ambiance. A real bargain is the CheeseCake Factory. There is also a multi-screen theatre and numerous other smaller shopping malls with more moderate priced stores and some discount stores(Nordstrom's Off-The-Rack.)

Indiana
Level Contributor
170 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Gurnee Mills and area?

I went to OakBrook a couple of years ago and really liked it - I need to go back again! We ate dinner at a great little Italian place there - I don't remember the name.

7. Re: Gurnee Mills and area?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:15 pm, September 11, 2009