We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

scenic route chicago to Galena

Which Galena hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Orland Park
Level Contributor
64 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
scenic route chicago to Galena

Has anyone ever taken a more scenic rout from Chicago to Galena--travelign west, then along the Mississippi tthrough the Palisades State Park? Was it worth it?

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
500 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: scenic route chicago to Galena

Jtrip

I have been to Galena several times and the only route I have taken is route 20 West to Galena. About 45 min to an hour past Rockford, the drive on the 20 is very scenic. I would have to say one of the best in the state. It has beautiful rolling hills. Don't forget to stop at the wooden observation tower for a great view just outside of Galena. Enjoy your trip.

Rensselaer, Indiana
Level Contributor
6,745 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: scenic route chicago to Galena

If you are taking #20 to Galena from Rockford, take the Old Stagecoach Trail route (starts around Lena).

Have you been to Apple River Canyon State Park?

Edited: 1:03 pm, September 16, 2011
Pecatonica, Illinois
Level Contributor
74 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: scenic route chicago to Galena

The wooden observation tower mentioned by another writer is no longer open for the public, so don't count on doing this. The Stagecoach Trail is great as is a stop in Apple River Canyon State Park. Lena has a cheese factory, too, and this is an excellent stop to get your cheese. Just off of Route 20 between Freeport and Rockford is the town of Pecatonica. They have gorgeous old trees which are beautiful in the fall, and a Prairie Path for walking which has many miles of great hiking.

Chicago
Destination Expert
for Pompano Beach
Level Contributor
4,126 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: scenic route chicago to Galena

I'd take US 20. Stagecoach Trail is nice as well. Took Rt 64 once and had no particular value.

5. Re: scenic route chicago to Galena

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:21 am, November 20, 2012
Get answers to your questions about Galena