We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel Julien- Dubuque

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
139 posts
193 reviews
Save Topic
Hotel Julien- Dubuque

We just returned from a short trip to Galena, and while looking at hotel options, stumbled on Hotel Julien in Dubuque. WOW, really a great hotel, and a bargain! It an old historic hotel(very cool lobby) completly updated rooms and suites. We had a king suite, which was HUGE. Also had a full kitchen, which we didn't need. I think the other option was a whirlpool suite.

We drove out in the AM, had lunch in Galena, shopped all afternoon, then it was a 15 minute ride to Dubuque.

We were just in Galena a few years ago and stayed at the Irish Cottage, That was ok, this time I was looking for something different. We aren't really B&B people..(many don't have king beds!) but did check out all the options. Was also looking at Eagle Ridge, which is probably the same distance from town. That looked nice, but after reading about all the hidden fees, and we wouldn't be using any of the amenites at that resort, I kept looking for other options.

Since we had done most of the other touristy things(Grants home, Bellevue Home tour, trolley) recently, our 2nd day we planned to drive the Mississippi River Rd. So it was a great location for that.

I don't think I would make Dubuque as a destination, but I certainly would stay at the Hotel Julien again!

Galena, IL.
Level Contributor
150 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel Julien- Dubuque

The Hotel Julian is a magnificent hotel. They have spent a lot of money remodeling t and dd a wonderful job., unfortunately they are outside of Galena.

You mentioned that you do not do B&B's because they do not have King sized beds. Many B&B's do. We have 2 rooms with king sized beds and also a condo at Longhollow Point which has a king bed and all the amenities of a lodge including a wonderful indoor pool and fitness center.

Again, I'm glad you enjoyed your stay and still visited Galena.

You can inquire about the B&B's by going to the visit galena website which is www.visitgalena.org

or my own which is www.cloranmansion.com

2. Re: Hotel Julien- Dubuque

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 am, October 01, 2010