We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Eagle Ridge -- how is it?

Illinois
7 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Eagle Ridge -- how is it?

We are considering going to Galena in August with our two 8 year olds. I've heard of Eagle Ridge and was wondering whether anyone out there had stayed there and thought it was worth the price. (We probably won't be golfing)

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
216 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Eagle Ridge -- how is it?

I would suggest reading the reviews on here under the hotel itself. Also take a look at the other hotels listed for Galena. It looks like there is a Country Inn & Suites that would be a lot cheaper & probably a bit better for two 8 year old than a resort & spa.

Galena, Illinois
Level Contributor
55 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Eagle Ridge -- how is it?

And, Country Inn and Suites has an indoor water park.

Illinois
Level Contributor
40 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Eagle Ridge -- how is it?

Eagle Ridge is a beautiful property. Although we've never golfed there, we have taken advantage of the pool, walking the grounds, and horseback riding.

It is expensive, but if you rent a condo, you can make your own meals.

Bring bikes if everyone is up for a hilly ride.

Galena, Illinois
Level Contributor
12 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Eagle Ridge -- how is it?

WE live in the Galena Territory which Eagle Ridge is a part of. Beautiful area. Eagle Ridge does have a pool but I would agree with 2 kids Country Inn in Galena might be a better place. If it were the 2 of you I would say go to Eagle Ridge. The golfing there is great. The food at Eagle Rige is wonderful. One of the places we go to weekly is Spike's which is at the entrance. Great views! and the General Golf course is there also. Enjoy your stay. Make sure you walk downtown Galena and do the shops its alot of fun. Another great thing to see is the Mississippi River Museum in Dubuque, IA which is only 13 miles.

Galena, Illinois
Level Contributor
55 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Eagle Ridge -- how is it?

We'll second that recomendation for the Dubuque Mississippi River Museum. Your children will love it. Make sure you take in the dredge boat tour if you go. The adults will enjoy that part of the museum.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
10 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Eagle Ridge -- how is it?

Our family just spent a few days in the Galena Territory and in the past I've stayed at Eagle Ridge for work. In short, Eagle Ridge is not worth the money. In addition to their high, fixed rates, they charge you this ridiculous resort fee making it sound like they are doing you a favor "combining our most popular attractions into one charge" In other words we want more money, few people will take advantage of the paddleboats or other services included and that way we can charge more. It's my guess that they have to fix their rates and can't vary based on market conditions because of the financial relationship they have representing hundreds of other properties in this area. They aren't looking out for the consumer, but rather the property owners in the region. You can play golf, eat there, etc. etc without staying @ Eagle Ridge so why bother? I'd find a firm that rents properties elsewjere in the Galena territory. If you get access to the owners' pool, it blows the one at ER out of the proverbial water.

7. Re: Eagle Ridge -- how is it?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:21 pm, October 06, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Galena