We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fox Lake, Illinois

Chicago
Level Contributor
43 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Fox Lake, Illinois

What is Fox Lake like as a weekend retreat on a nice lake?

Illinois
Level Contributor
1,145 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fox Lake, Illinois

I would not describe a weekend on Fox Lake as a "retreat" or as a "nice" lake as both imply quiet and relaxing. Fox Lake is one of several lakes on the Chain-O-Lakes. During the summer months, and especially on weekends, it is a boating madness, and all of the lakes and businesses on the lakes are several steps beyond crowded.

Chicago
Level Contributor
43 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Fox Lake, Illinois

Thanks, Funcampin! Does noisy include lots of those motorized water bikes?

Can you walk around the lake, or is there a lengthy path near the water that you can walk? Is the lake pretty and clean? Stores or restaurants quaint?

Much thanks!

Illinois
Level Contributor
1,145 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Fox Lake, Illinois

Much of the lakeshore is either developed by businesses or private homes, or marshland. See this link for a map.

foxwaterway.org/pdfattachments/FWA-Map-01-01…

The State Park has some trails, but not much along the lake. The State Park is on Grass Lake and not on Fox Lake.

If you can give me a better idea of what you are looking for, I might be able to suggest something...

Illinois
Level Contributor
1,145 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Fox Lake, Illinois

If you are looking for stores, restaurants and the ability to walk around or near a lake or other body or water, I'd suggest maybe Lake Geneva, WI. The lake is very large, but there is a walking path that goes completely around it. (21 miles) There are very lovely homes around the lake and the walk is very enjoyable. There are nice restaurants and shops in the town, as well as lodging. They also have boat excursions if you are interested.

Another possibility would be Starved Rock State Park in Utica, IL. It's about 1 - 2 hour drive depending on where you are from in the Chicago area. The State Park has a nice lodge with hotel rooms. There are many miles of hiking trails, many that follow the Illinois River. The Lodge has live entertainment on it's large veranda on the weekends at night. They also have boat excursions. There are also hotel rooms near town. There are some really great restaurants in town. I'd skip the food at the Lodge. Duffy's, Ron's Cajun Connection, Anne's in the town of Naplate are just a few. Not much shopping around, but there are a few wineries.

Most of the other lake destinations in the area involve camping. If you are interested, I can make other suggestions.

5. Re: Fox Lake, Illinois

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:15 am, December 07, 2010
Get answers to your questions about Fox Lake
Recent Conversations