We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A overview of Crystal Lake

St. Charles, IL
Level Contributor
3 posts
79 reviews
Save Topic
A overview of Crystal Lake

As a former resident and member of an "old" Crystal Lake family, I can tell you a little about our town. Crystal Lake, or "CL" is a rapidly growing town near the edge of suburbia. It has a wide range of income groups living there from very rich to poor. The thing about old CL is that it can be kind of hard to understand. We oldtimers have a fierce loyalty to the town and it comes off as being snobbery. The town is changing rapidly from newcomers, yet you still can find oldtimers around especially at a select set of bars and restaurants. I am deeply disappointed in the rapid growth - a once beautiful town with Norman Rockwell qualities is now being paved over by subdivisions. I have to admit this is the result of good schools, relatively cheap land, and convenient commuting. We are just disappointed that this lovely town is just a shadow of its former self. So please forgive those who come off as "standoffish" - it is really a sadness for what we once had.

Pacifc Northwest
Level Contributor
113 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: A overview of Crystal Lake

As someone who left there over fourteen years ago and return sparodically; I too see the sprawl the town as become and has truly lost the special feeling of being an old fashioned town.

I now travel further north - Wisconsin & Minnesota - to find the feeling that Crystal Lake once had.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Madison
Level Contributor
1,267 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: A overview of Crystal Lake

I grew up in Crystal Lake and get back fairly often as I have family in Lake in the Hills. The sprawl and the traffic are astounding. Sadly, our former home was torn down and now is an assisted living facility. The former orchard is a road, the field that we looked out on to watch sunset is totally developed. The farm where we decorated our homecoming float looks like Levittown. I do see glimpses of the old town when I drive through--the lake front, South School, Lundahl all seem to look the same, although I'm sure that there are changes if you scratch the surface.

3. Re: A overview of Crystal Lake

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:19 am, August 11, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Crystal Lake