We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Union League Club of Chicago

Which Chicago hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
ENGLAND
Level Contributor
11 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Union League Club of Chicago

Has anyone stayed here before?

What is it life?

Is it easy to get around from here?

Illinois City...
Level Contributor
5,650 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Union League Club of Chicago

Haven't stayed there, but had a meeting there and it is extremely nice. It's a private club and it's quite gorgeous. It'd be pretty easy to get around from there.

probably stuck in...
Level Contributor
330 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Union League Club of Chicago

Ahh! The fat man's club. My father was a member years ago. A real piece of history. Very posh and very private. If you have an in, I highly recommend it. Old school all the way--dark wood paneling, deep leather chairs. Years ago they still had butlers in tails working the place, but I think they are gone now. Right in the heart of downtown, corner of Madison and Michigan if I remember. Dining room is spectaular. This is the place that the movers and shakers have gathered since the turn of the last century. They might have more places like this on your side of the Atlantic, but in Chicago, this is one of a kind.

Austin, TX
Level Contributor
12 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Union League Club of Chicago

My husband and I are traveling to Chicago for the first time together in June and he's made arrangements to stay at the Union League Club.

Is it fun? Or too business like? I'm traditional and certainly appreciate old school charm and service, but I don't want to stay in a stuffy place.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers!

Illinois City...
Level Contributor
5,650 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Union League Club of Chicago

I've been there before (not to stay, just for a meeting) and it's pretty stuffy. Nothing against it - it's gorgeous - but it's not what I would call "relaxed" in any way.

probably stuck in...
Level Contributor
330 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Union League Club of Chicago

The Union League Club, and it's longtime competitor, the Chicago Athletic Club, have been around since the late 1800's. They were very exclusive, male only clubs for Chicago's business elite. Women were not even alowed into the clubs initially, and women have been members for less than 30 years. As a kid, I still remember seeing men swimming, steaming and sweating in the sauna buck naked--not a pretty sight, let me tell you! Many of the peculiar traditions of these clubs continue today. The facilities are stunning, service is ultra professional, and the decor screams old money. This can be a little intimidating. If you like posh and pampered, this is as good as it gets. If you want to hang out with the guys and watch the game, this is not the place.

Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
169 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Union League Club of Chicago

Not hardly a "fun" place. Extremely stuffy if you ask me!!

Not anyplace I'd wanna spend my leisuretime....

Knoxville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
9 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Union League Club of Chicago

Not hardy a fat man's club anymore! The ULCC has superb athletic facilities, an extensive collection of mid-American impressionistic and contemporary art, a beautiful library, incredible food, and an attentive staff. Women now make up a large portion of the club membership. I have never had anything but a smile on my face once I enter the club's revolving doors. I consider the ULCC my home in Chicago... but it is not the place to go if you want to hang out in jeans and throw back a few beers. It is a very relaxed, sheltered and secure environment.

probably stuck in...
Level Contributor
330 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Union League Club of Chicago

I may have given the wrong impression. The old joke about the fat man's triathalon-sauna, steam and a massage-certainly applied to the Union League Club during my father's era, but the facilities have evolved with the times, and are currently outstanding, as are all other aspects of the club. If you appreciate a quiet, superbly managed facility with fine furnishing and a unique history, you will love this.