We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Taxis at Clark and Lake

Kirkcaldy
Level Contributor
618 posts
83 reviews
Save Topic
Taxis at Clark and Lake

I am still not sure whether to take a taxi from ORD to Monaco Hotel around 3pm on a Saturday afternoon in Sept.

I want to get 7 day pass ventra cards so might just get the blue line to Clark and Lake. I know the Monaco is quite close by but we can't walk as will have 2 large suitcases, 1 medium suitcase and 2 cabin under seat bags and my husband is semi disabled and unable to wheel these over a few block distance.

Which exit is it best to take from Clark and Lake to find the taxi line and will they fit in all our luggage? Will taxi driver be okay accepting a fare for such a small distance and will we have to go round a one way system?

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
18,113 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Taxis at Clark and Lake

Taxis are omnipresent at Clark/Lake whichever exit you take. If the taxi driver won't take you that short distance be sure to get the carb #: the number printed on the side, the taxi light and the license plate. Call 311 and report him. What is "go around a one way system"?

Little Rock
Level Contributor
3,367 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Taxis at Clark and Lake

Google Maps can tell you which way you need to go when you exit at Lake and Clark. If you make your way to the proper side of the street the cab won't have to turn around. Worst case is the driver would have to go around the block if he is facing the wrong direction when he picks you up. He would not have to go miles the wrong direction on a one way street.

pgo
Chicago
Destination Expert
for Chicago
Level Contributor
7,687 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Taxis at Clark and Lake

You'll be flagging a cab in the street. Just stay on Lake Street (the one with the El tracks overhead, just like in the movies!) It's one-way eastbound, so you can catch a cab from either sidewalk. That will take you to Wabash Avenue where the cab can turn left and drop you at the Monaco's front door.

Note that Wabash is predominantly southbound, but the one block from Lake to Wacker Place runs in both directions.

It's not the prettiest introduction to the city, but it should be quick.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
2,134 posts
284 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Taxis at Clark and Lake

Honestly, given the description you listed above I would take a cab from ORD. That's A LOT to navigate on the train, particularly in a new city. You'll be fine on your own once you arrive and get settled in your hotel, but given your circumstances I would definitely highly consider a cab to your hotel.

Clearwater, Florida
Level Contributor
7,553 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Taxis at Clark and Lake

I like the advice given @4. Take the taxi. Have a great visit!

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
18,113 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Taxis at Clark and Lake

Good catch Gram and gomexico: if the OP will have trouble walking the few blocks to the Monaco they should not take the train.

Kirkcaldy
Level Contributor
618 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Taxis at Clark and Lake

Thanks everyone, it is our third trip to Chicago. 1st time we took go express shared shuttle van and 2nd time we took taxi. Think we will just taxi the whole way again

Kirkcaldy
Level Contributor
618 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Taxis at Clark and Lake

Thank you everyone for the advice you gave me in these postings. I should have listened to you guys and my original feelings in August.

As you will see in my trip report, I decided as my husband was having a good day (he has ME/CFS) that we would try the blue line and save a taxi ride in traffic and get downtown quickly. Being a canny Scot too I knew it would save a few dollars. We have done the journey from Rosemont to Clark/Lake return in 2011 (without luggage) so I thought we'd be okay.

With large heavy luggage, it is a challenge getting to the El station at O'Hare and then not having the patience to flag a taxi in afternoon heat at Lake was silly. We are Scottish and not used to walking in hot weather.

My advice to fellow TA tourists is listen to the locals they do know best. Don't be stubborn and try to save time and money for the sake of comfort and ease.

Edited: 4:18 pm, October 11, 2015
Chicago
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, East End
Level Contributor
6,483 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Taxis at Clark and Lake

Thanks for coming back and for your honesty. No one wants to be wrong on the internet. :) Hopefully your advise will help others.

B

10. Re: Taxis at Clark and Lake

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, October 12, 2016