We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Italian Restaurant?

Which Chicago hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Oklahoma City
Level Contributor
171 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Best Italian Restaurant?

Staying downtown at Hotel 71. Need a great place to eat. Thanks!

Rensselaer, Indiana
Level Contributor
7,099 posts
Save Reply
11. Re: Best Italian Restaurant?

Just a little follow-up note. The chef of Spiaggia is the recipient of the 2005 James Beard Award for the Midwest.

Also, Trattoria No. 10 (10 N. Dearborn) is a wonderful place. I prefer it to the Italian Village (any of the restaurants).

Chicago
Level Contributor
369 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Best Italian Restaurant?

This time "gomexico" wraps it up best.

Spiagga - New italian - outrageously priced.

Tuffano's - hands down most authentic southern italian cuisine in Chicago. Don't know if Big Bob the bartender is still there, if he is, he's worth the trip itself.

St. Louis, MO
Level Contributor
887 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Best Italian Restaurant?

My wife and I stayed at Hotel 71 last August. It was really cool and we asked for a river view room - gorgeous! We ate at Italinan Village on W. Monroe. We ate at the downstairs restaurant, la Cantina and it was great and very reasonable. This restaurant has been around for many years. We plan to go back this July when we are in Chicago for Taste of Chicago. My wife had the lasagna - huge and incredibly tasty. I had the seafood special that night, and it was great too. Have fun at Hotel 71. Nice big rooms and the bathrooms are really cool.

DM St. Louis

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
83 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Best Italian Restaurant?

Here's an idea the others haven't mentioned: Yes, there is Little Italy, but there is also a "little Italy" that is way off the beaten path, that tourists do not now about, and is actually deep in the heart of an Italian neighborhood.

Hop in a cab and ask your cab driver to take you to 29th and Oakley. It's not too far south, one block east of Western. Bacchanal is one of many great places right on the same street. And each one is family-run, in the heart of a truly Italian neighborhood. There's a huge Italian fest on that street in August.

This neighborhood is much more like Boston's North End (albeit much smaller) or the Italian neighborhood's of Brooklyn.

But do take a cab. It's inaccessible by other means.

St. Louis, MO
Level Contributor
887 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Best Italian Restaurant?

Another really good one in this same area is Bruna's. We ate there several years ago and had a wonderful meal. I think it is on California St. right off Oakley. DM St, Louis

Clearwater, Florida
Level Contributor
7,553 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Best Italian Restaurant?

I suspect that you won't find more than a dozen families of Italian heritage living over on the west side in that "little Italy." I used to go there a lot, maybe 30 years ago, but when I drive through there now it's primarily a Mexican neighborhood with 3 or 4 Italian restaurants hanging on for dear life and not a whole lot of customers. I think the place my mother loved and at which we often ate was "Toscano's." It was first-rate in its day. Most of the Italian places have shut-down over the years and the neighborhood deteriorated. I don't think it's worth a visit for someone only having days or a week or so to see Chicago.