We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report and Reviews

Kansas City
Level Contributor
42 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Report and Reviews

Friday -

Museum of Science & Industry - It was neat and big, but not nearly as big as I was expecting. Some others had said it would take us all day to visit, but it only took use about 4 hours, granted we didn't do a imax movie so maybe that would take longer. I was definitely neat to see but I probably wouldn't go back.

Gino's East - My first deep dish experience, I wasn't all that impressed, my husband likes deep dish and thought it was good, but he thought Giordano's was better.

Peninsula Chocolate Bar - This was incredible and if you love chocolate or desserts you absolutely must go. They had over fifty different small desserts to sample. We got there about 9 pm there was a live jazz singer, we had to wait about 15 minutes for a table, but then go a gorgeous table by the windows overlooking the terrace. It was expensive $28 per person for the chocolate bar, cocktails were about $12-15 each, but if you love chocolate its worth it. I got the chocolate bar, my husband got cocktails so it really worked out for both of us.

Saturday -

We got up early and decided to go for a walk along oak street and then discovered the Gold Coast area along Rush Street and it was a incredible little area of shops and restaurants and they had farmers market going there as well and it was really neat to walk through.

We headed back to Michigan avenue and did some shopping. I had a appointment with Intimacy at 10 and for any girls going to Chicago you must make a appointment. They are small shop in 900 Michigan Avenue that specializes in fitting you with the perfect bra, I had never thought any of mine where that bad until they fitted me it was really incredible. There's also two other locations in New York and Atlanta, so if your ever near one make reservations before you go, they were completely booked the entire weekend I was there, but they do take walk ins, but those spots fill up fast too, they opened at 10 and by 11 their walk in list was a couple hours out.

We headed back up the Gold Coast for some lunch at Bistro Zinc and it was by far one of our favorite meals the whole trip, the food, service and atmosphere were all excellent and the price was great too, our check was less than $18. Again this is another must do place, we will definitely go back next time.

After lunch we walked to Old Town and were relatively unimpressed, not sure what we were hoping for but it was really just a bunch of restaurants. After Old Town we went to Navy Pier to take a Windy Tall Ships sail. The sail was a lot of fun but somewhat disappointing as there was little wind that day so we barely made it out to the lake and it was time to turn back. None the less it was very relaxing and peaceful.

When we got back to Michigan Avenue we stopped by Bandera for dinner, it seems since we ate here a few years ago that there menu had gotten much smaller. Our food was good for the most part, my husbands rice was undercooked, but that is about it. We felt a bit rushed as from the time we sat down we were back out on the street in 18 minutes. It felt a little as if they were just trying to pump people in and out.

We had Second City tickets for Saturday night, we have been the several times before and once again it did not let us down. It was a lot of fun and I highly recommend that everyone go, we bought our tickets over the phone in advance and good thing we did as they were sold out.

Sunday -

We headed out to Ann Sather on Belmont and had a delicious breakfast the cinnamon rolls are really as good as they are rumored. We shared and Pecan French Toast with Hazelnut Cream and then also ordered a plate of two cinnamon rolls and it was the perfect amount. I also recommend going. If you take the Redline to Belmont the restaurant is just a few doors down for from the L stop, very convenient. We headed out to Wrigleyville for a little bit, the Cubs weren't in town but my husband can't go to Chicago with out stopping by and surprisingly most of the shops were open at 11 on a Sunday with no game in town. Next we headed over to the Armitage/Halsted shopping area, it was a very cute quaint area of shops, though most are rather expensive. After that we headed over to North/Clyborn and hit the Crate and Barrel Outlet and then did the Brewery Tour at Goose Island. The tour was completely worth the $5, I think we each had about the equivalent to two beers during the tour and I can now say I think I've learned more about beer than I ever thought possible. Our tour was very in-depth and interesting. I would definitely recommend going if you or whom ever your going with is in to beer. After the tour we had dinner here, the food was just okay, nothing bad, but nothing impressive either. Next time I'd just order a appetizer and enjoy the beer and eat dinner somewhere else. In the evening we headed to the Red Head Piano Bar, I had read a lot of great things about this place, so it was a huge disappointment for use, it was a dark smoky hole in the ground and most of the patrons were about 40+. After walking around for a bit we found Jilly's on Rush Street, this seem to be a great district for the 30's and under crowd, Jilly's was just the first place we saw so we stopped but there also seemed to be a lot of other great places further down the street. We sat out on the patio and for a while and then moved indoors and there was a Sinatra style group playing that was really good. The only down fall with this place was the cost. My husband ordered Goose Island beers and they were $8, my Seagram's & 7 was only $9, had he know he would have ordered mixed drinks as he thought getting beers would be the cheaper route, but it was a good time and I would go back.

Monday -

We headed over the Garretts to pick up some popcorn to take home. I'm not really sure what the deal is but this place use to have tremendously long lines at any time of day but everytime we walked by the lines were always very small. I'm please to report though the popcorn is still incredible so the lack of lines evidently has nothing to do with the product itself. We picked up the final items we wanted to shop for and head back to the hotel to pack up. On our way out we stopped for lunch and Rock Bottom, I know its a chain, but as I said before my husband loves to try different beers. They food and the beers were excellent and I would go back again.

The Hotel -

We booked the hotel on Hotwire, I was having a hard time finding a room anywere else under $150-200 a night, we got the Tremont for $92. The reviews on tripadvisor are very + and -. Here's our opinion of it. It has a great location right off of Michigan avenue and across the street from he Hancock Center. The hotel is old, the elevator is slow and the rooms are in definite need of repair, however the room was clean and safe and I knew when I booked it that I wasn't going to get the Four Seasons for $92 a night. I also didn't book a room on Michigan avenue to spend all my time there. When we go to Chicago we spend very little time in our room we sleep and change clothes that's about it. It definitely served its purpose for us. I do have to disagree with Hotwires rating of three stars it was more of a two star hotel. While I probably wouldn't actively seek this hotel out to reserve if I got it again on Hotwire I would stay. A few years ago we stayed at the Intercontinental and loved it, however it's prices have definitely gone up they were wanting $250 a night (we paid $65 last time) and we got the Tremont for $92, so the Tremont worked for our budget and served its purpose so if you get in on Hotwire or Priceline don't be to worried as long as you are prepared for it to be old don't plan on spending a lot of time here.

Mentioned in this post
Gino's East
Gino's East
2,522 Reviews
Chicago, IL
Giordano's
Giordano's
7,422 Reviews
Chicago, IL
Michigan
Michigan
United States
Chicago
Chicago
Illinois
Atlanta
Atlanta
Georgia
Navy Pier
Navy Pier
12,073 Reviews
Chicago, IL
Bandera Restaurant
Bandera Restaurant
1,363 Reviews
Chicago, IL
Second City
Second City
1,392 Reviews
Chicago, IL
Ann Sather
Ann Sather
441 Reviews
Chicago, IL
Oriole
$$$$, American
Alinea
$$$$, American, International
Illinois City...
Level Contributor
5,650 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Report and Reviews

Thank you for the detailed trip report! Glad you had a good time and that most of your stops worked out well. Also glad that the Tremont was okay.

aw7
Chicago
Level Contributor
194 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Report and Reviews

Glad you had a good time!

Bistro Zinc is one of my favorites in the city. Nice to see others love it too.

3. Re: Trip Report and Reviews

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:19 pm, August 17, 2009