We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

CTA Ventra card?

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Atlantic City
Level Contributor
4,770 posts
336 reviews
Save Topic
CTA Ventra card?

I will be flying into Midway for a weekend in mid August and plan on purchasing a 3 day CTA unlimited pass for $20. I need to get to Arlington Park Racetrack on the Saturday, which is serviced by Metra. Can I load additional funds on the same card to use on Metra or do I need to purchase a different fare card? Thanx in advance for your help.

Chicago, IL
Destination Expert
for Chicago
Level Contributor
2,364 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: CTA Ventra card?

Ventra cards are not valid on Metra. You need to purchase a separate ticket when you board at Union Station. Follow the signs to the Metra ticket windows.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Atlantic City
Level Contributor
4,770 posts
336 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: CTA Ventra card?

Thanx for the quick reply.

chicago
Level Contributor
8,354 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: CTA Ventra card?

Get the $7 weekend pass for metra

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Atlantic City
Level Contributor
4,770 posts
336 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: CTA Ventra card?

Thanx, the $7.00 weekend pass for Metra will be just rite! (and it is a money saver too!)

Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
97 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: CTA Ventra card?

Be aware that you need to pay $5 for the card in addition to the $20. I missed that detail when I checked the fare plans before arriving at Midway this week.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
35 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: CTA Ventra card?

Yes, they cost $5 at the vending machines in the train stations.

As of now, they are still free on the internet at the Ventra web site. To get a free card, you must buy either a pass (1-day, 3-day, 7-day, or 30-day) or add at least $5 in transit value (cash for paying single fares). I don't know when they will start charging the $5 fee on the web site. There is still time to get one before mid-August. You must have a US address to buy on the web site.

https://www.ventrachicago.com/purchase/

Illinois
Destination Expert
for Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
47,127 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: CTA Ventra card?

The $5 fee is immediately refunded to you after you register the card online.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
35 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: CTA Ventra card?

It's not really refunded to you. It is credited to your Ventra account as transit value (money that you can spend for single rides or use to buy another pass). If you are leaving town and not coming back for 18 months it won't do you any good. (18 months is when the $5 a month inactivity fee kicks in.) There is no way to obtain a refund of an unused balance.

By the way, if you don't have internet access, you can register by phone.

You must provide a US address and phone number to register. by phone or online.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Atlantic City
Level Contributor
4,770 posts
336 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: CTA Ventra card?

Thanx again for all the help & replies!

10. Re: CTA Ventra card?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:16 pm, July 14, 2015