We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary for next week

Which Chicago hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
London,UK
Level Contributor
46 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Itinerary for next week

We are coming over next week and i was wondering if anyone had any comments on my rough itinerary. Looking for some suggestions to eat/drink, hopefully the weathers going to be good!

Monday 30th June

Land ORD 13:35

Grab a taxi - we are staying at the Sofitel Hotel.

Take a walk around Mag Mile

Go for a drink at Signature Lounge at Hancock Centre

Tuesday 1st July

Up early, head to Shedd Aquarium, then visit Field Museum

Take the Lakefront trail – Monroe Harbour – Buckingham Fountain

OR

Water Taxi to Navy Pier

Wednesday 2nd July

Walk up to Lincoln Zoo via Astor St, visit Green City Farmers Market

Pop to beach?

Thursday 3rd July

Millenium Park – Cloud Gate

Willis Tower (sunset 8:30pm)

Friday 4th July

Wrigley Field – Tour

AND/OR

Evanston 4th July Celebrations

Saturday 5th July

Need to be at ORD for a 09:55 flight. Will the roadworks still be in place then?

Illinois
Destination Expert
for Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
44,805 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Itinerary for next week

Looks good. Construction on the Kennedy is complete.

www.chicagoreader.com and www.chicagomag.com for current dining and entertainment options.

Check the calendar at www.choosechicago.com to see what else is going in here during your visit.

pgo
Chicago
Destination Expert
for Chicago
Level Contributor
7,154 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Itinerary for next week

You have a lot of room on Thursday for exploring the Loop. The Cultural Center, Art Institute, CAF walking tour or Millennium Park concert would work well.

For restaurant suggestions, you may want to use www.yelp.com. Or, give us an idea of your budget and preferences.

Rensselaer, Indiana
Level Contributor
6,745 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Itinerary for next week

It is a pleasure reading your itinerary. You have not overfilled the days and have left sufficient time for traveling, etc.

I notice that you do not have an architectural cruise on your itinerary. Is that something that doesn't interest you? Either Wednesday afternoon or Thursday would be good times to consider it.

On that Wednesday, I would suggest this order: Lincoln Park Zoo; Green City Market; Astor Street.

The Zoo opens at 9 a.m. It's a very compact zoo and can be enjoyed in a couple of hours, at most. The plus you have going so early is that that the animals are the most lively right after their "breakfast".

The Green City Market is only open until 1 p.m. The cooking demonstration that day (@ 10:30-11:30 a.m.) will be by Bruce Sherman and Greg Musko of North Pond. North Pond - both the pond itself and the restaurant (a really lovely place with very good cuisine) - are, in fact, just to the north of the Lincoln Park Zoo, about 4 blocks. IMHO, would be a very good one to consider to watch.

If you were interested in the free tour of the Charnley-Persky House on Astor Street, it is held at noon and takes about an hour (both interior and exterior). You could easily get from the Green City Market to the house in that 1/2 hour.

Thursday would be a good day to visit the Art Institute of Chicago, if it is of interest to you (and I hope it is). It is situated immediately south of Millennium Park. And it is open late (until 8:30 p.m.), giving you plenty of time to invest in viewing all the priceless art treasures. If you don't wish to walk to the Willis Tower, you could always take the #151 bus going to Union Station and disembark at Wacker - or a short cab ride would do it.

BTW, there will be open rehearsals of the Grant Park Symphony Orchestra's Independence Day concert on that Thursday at the Jay Pritzker Pavilion in Millennium Park (10:30 a.m.-1:00 p.m.)

London,UK
Level Contributor
46 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Itinerary for next week

Thanks for the great responses, will modify my itinerary accordingly!

My husband is obsessed with trying the famous deep dish pizza, so we will be doing that one night.

Also want to experience some blues - perhaps Green Mill or Buddy Guys.

Some things on my saves : Revolution Brewing, Bavettes for steak?

Rensselaer, Indiana
Level Contributor
6,745 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Itinerary for next week

The Green Mill is a jazz club.

Lincolnshire...
Level Contributor
76 posts
305 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Itinerary for next week

Nice itinerary! Definitely do a drink at the Signature Room but try to do it in the evening, after dark; ideally get a table on the south side of the room. You'll have great views and no big wait (which you will experience when going to the Willis). On July 3rd there will, of course, be crowds at Millenium Park. Consider the Art Institute, just steps to the South of the Park for a quiet bit of time. Also, when you visit the museum campus consider including the Adler Planetarium--it offers the best view of the skyline and their shows are surprisingly good (hourly on the half hour) and a chance to sit and rest for a bit.

On the 4th Evanston would be nice (you could ride the L, transferring at Howard St.--that will give you a view of the underside of Chicago, it's definitely not the Tube)...but it will be crowded. Evanston has great restaurants (Trattoria DOC is a personal favorite) but everything will be crowded so try to get reservations somewhere.

7. Re: Itinerary for next week

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, June 27, 2015