We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

dinner near 360 Tower or University OR Slate/Harrison

Which Chicago hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Canada
Level Contributor
297 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
dinner near 360 Tower or University OR Slate/Harrison

Hi I am planning to visit for 4 days starting next week and am looking for dinner suggestions for myself, a solo traveller. Most of the nights I'll just be running around and will grab anything handy, but on the last night I'd like to have a nice dinner near either 360 Tower (which I'll be visiting around dusk) or Slate/Harrison streets (where I'm staying). I like a variety of ethnic foods. I eat everything EXCEPT seafood. Looking for something under $30 for one (no drinks, just food) if possible as I'm on a budget.

Thanks!

Edited: 6:49 pm, June 08, 2014
Illinois
Destination Expert
for Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
45,992 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: dinner near 360 Tower or University OR Slate/Harrison

FYI - it's State & Harrison.

http://mercatchicago.com/

http://www.theberghoff.com/

http://www.hackneysprintersrow.net/

www.curryhouseonline.com/curryhouse.html

Along with many more options.

www.chicagoreader.com and www.chicagomag.com are good online dining resources. You can read restaurant reviews and search by area, cuisine, budget etc.

pgo
Chicago
Destination Expert
for Chicago
Level Contributor
7,193 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: dinner near 360 Tower or University OR Slate/Harrison

I think you mean STATE Street and Harrison (there is no Slate). And, the "360 Tower" is what everyone here calls the Hancock building, 875 N. Michigan. The "360 Chicago" has only had that name since May; if you use it, no one will know what you mean.

A short walk from the Hancock is Bistronomic, a very low-key French restaurant, which will be at the top of your budget. For more hustle and bustle, try Bar Toma, or just pick what looks good from the huge variety in the area.

Close to your hotel: Umai has a nice sushi bar that is good for a single person (not everything is seafood). Hackney's has a great burger, and be sure to have lunch at Cafecito: www.yelp.com/biz/cafecito-chicago. You can check dozens of other options by putting in an address on yelp.

Edited: 7:15 pm, June 08, 2014
Canada
Level Contributor
297 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: dinner near 360 Tower or University OR Slate/Harrison

Thank you! Sorry about the typo.

chicago
Level Contributor
8,286 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: dinner near 360 Tower or University OR Slate/Harrison

ill second mercat

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
15,273 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: dinner near 360 Tower or University OR Slate/Harrison

First, if you're staying at the Travelodge on Harrison, change your hotel. It's cheap for a reason.

360chicago is a very stupid renaming of the observation deck at the Hancock Building. Don't even think of asking the man on the street where or what it is. Nobody here will know what it is without calling it The Hancock.

There are great places to grab a nice dinner in the area of the Hancock. There is Foodlife on the mezzanine of Water Tower Place Mall, if you're on a budget you can get a great great meal at the cafeteria at Northwestern Hospital in the Feinberg Pavilion -sort of behind Neiman Marcus. There is Epic a Burger on Pearson at State St, Frankie's or The Oak Tree on the 6th floor of the Bloomingdale's mall catty-corner from the Hancock, most of the other eating/dining places in the area are more expensive. Around your hotel, Yolk on a State St., the basement food court at Macy's or the 7th floor food court at Macy's for a higher price point. There are some sandwich places that cater to the business lunch crowd but close early. I apologize if I'm assuming that your budget will not afford restaurants like The Gage and Bistronomic but those aren't in tandem with the a Travelodge budget.

Lastly, change hotels.

Chicago
Level Contributor
7,703 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: dinner near 360 Tower or University OR Slate/Harrison

Generally speaking, it's cheaper near your hotel then near Hancock. I think Mercat is good but pretty expensive.

Canada
Level Contributor
297 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: dinner near 360 Tower or University OR Slate/Harrison

thanks for the suggestions! (no I'm not staying at that hotel)

Canada
Level Contributor
297 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: dinner near 360 Tower or University OR Slate/Harrison

thanks for the suggestions! (no I'm not staying at that hotel)

9. Re: dinner near 360 Tower or University OR Slate/Harrison

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, June 11, 2015