We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cooking An English Sunday Roast

Staffordshire
5 posts
Save Topic
Cooking An English Sunday Roast

Hya All,

When I visit my friend in September I would like to cook him a traditional sunday roast. I really wanted to bring some of the ingredients with me from the UK but of course that aint gonna happen! I would like a nice joint of beef and veg from a farmers market, and some pork dripping (good white fat with the pork jelly in the bottom). Gravy granuals, meat stock cubes, cornflour, and possibly (if I cheat!) a packet of yorkshire pudding mix.

What do you think my chances are guys?!

Thanks in advance for your help!

Luv Linda

Illinois City...
Level Contributor
5,650 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cooking An English Sunday Roast

There are plenty of wonderful farmers markets (veg/fruit/cheese only, as far as I've seen with the downtown markets) downtown, including an organic farmer's market on Wednesday/Saturdays in the SW area of Lincoln Park, just North of the Chicago Historical Society.

A requirement (in my humble opinion) for any sort of spices/herbs is the Spice House, which has an incredible array of fresh herbs and spices. You can see exactly what the store has to offer at thespicehouse.com

The other ingredients should be available locally, as well. A good start is any of the local Whole Foods (wholefoods.com for locations) stores, but it may require trips to a couple of other local grocers.

Overall, I don't think you'll have any problem, though.

Mentioned in this post
The Spice House
The Spice House
11 Reviews
Chicago, IL
Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
1,412 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cooking An English Sunday Roast

Where are you staying in chicago? The city or suburb? If the city

http://www.fox-obel.com/market/market.asp

www.surlatable.com

Cheating on the yokshire pudding are you?? Try Treasure Island grocery (a couple locations downtown) downtown, you may be able to find a McDougalls mix. Or better yet, just put a package in your suitcase. You will be able to get your meat and vegetables at Treasure Island also.

aw7
Chicago
Level Contributor
194 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Cooking An English Sunday Roast

I completely agree with dvd's suggestions.

Not a farmer's market but there's a great butcher on Lincoln just west of Wrigleyville. Paulina's Market.

Wauconda, Illinois
Level Contributor
985 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cooking An English Sunday Roast

You may contact a store in Long Grove called British Accents if you have a hard time find an ingredient that might not be commonly used over here. I use them to get HP sauce some times. They may be able to mail whatever you can't get at a market to you at where you are staying so it is there when you arrive....

----- British Accents -----

Gifts and food from the United Kingdom, including Cadbury Chocolates and and other delights. www.british-accents.com 847-913-0855

Mentioned in this post
Wauconda, Illinois
Level Contributor
985 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cooking An English Sunday Roast

You may contact a store in Long Grove called British Accents if you have a hard time find an ingredient that might not be commonly used over here. I use them to get HP sauce some times. They may be able to mail whatever you can't get at a market to you at where you are staying so it is there when you arrive....

----- British Accents -----

Gifts and food from the United Kingdom, including Cadbury Chocolates and and other delights. www.british-accents.com 847-913-0855

Mentioned in this post
Staffordshire
5 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Cooking An English Sunday Roast

Thank you so much folks, I'm really grateful for your suggestions.

My friend lives at N Wolcott, I think that's in the North area. Sorry to be so vague but he's moved since I last visited!

I emailed AA about bringing over some dripping before the alerts started but they never got back to me. Are you sure there wouldn't be a problem bringing a packet of yorkshire pudding mix over with me coz with it containing flour, I wouldn't want them to think I was bringing 'other' stuff over with me if you know what I mean!

Best Wishes,

Linda

Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
1,412 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cooking An English Sunday Roast

I looked at AA today, and the uk restrictions doesn't say anything about packaged food in checked luggage. The worst thing they can do is make you throw it out.

I wonder if the area you are going to is Bucktown? Will you have access to a car while you are here, or are you going to be using a car. If you have a car, or a cab, go to the Treasure Island on Clybourn, I think you will find everything you need there, there is also a very nice Dominick's supermarket on Division.

Rensselaer, Indiana
Level Contributor
8,371 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Cooking An English Sunday Roast

Linda, there is a very nice butchershop on N. Halsted called Gepperth's Meat Market. Depending on the address of your friend, you may be fairly close.

Maybe you could give them a call about the pork drippings. Otherwise, Treasure Island is a great suggestion, as they have many specialty foods and imported items.

9. Re: Cooking An English Sunday Roast

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:19 pm, August 12, 2009