We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A grandma and 5 yr old grandson in Chicago

Which Chicago hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Little Rock...
Level Contributor
24 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
A grandma and 5 yr old grandson in Chicago

I will soon be 69 and I haven't traveled alone to a city since being a widow, but I really want to bring my grandson to see "Sue" the dino (his favorite thing) As well as all other 5 yr old boy stuff. Will fly in or possibly drive to St. Louis and catch the train there. Due to arthritis, I have to "save" my feet for exhibits, zoo, whatever the navy pier is.........and what else? What's a safe, reasonable hotel where we can hop on transportation nearby and get to all the kids' sites? A fun environment with lots to see and do and places to eat would be great for him. Any help?

Chicago's North...
Destination Expert
for Illinois, Chicago
Level Contributor
6,517 posts
261 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: A grandma and 5 yr old grandson in Chicago

navy pier is a touristy attraction... many locals in this forum poo poo it, however, it's a nice place to bring your 5 year old grand son.... since you might have trouble walking long distances, i'd probably keep your visit to the children's museum, which is near the foot (beginning) of the pier.... at 5, he's nearing the upper end of the age range for the museum, however, he'll still love it....

lincoln park zoo is FREE (and fairly compact), so definitely add that to your itinerary.... also, check out the nearby peggy notebaert nature museum....

how much time do you have for this trip? the above recommendations will take the better part of 2 days..... if you have more time, say 4-5 days, you can fit in the field museum (dinosaurs and other natural history stuff), shedd aquarium (self explanatory), adler planetarium (also self explanatory) and the museum of science and industry (lotsa machines, giant train set, baby chicks being born, etc)..... note, the MSI is not downtown---you will need public transport, or a fairly long cab drive to get there.... and if the weather is nice, take him to the beach!! ohio st beach is family friendly and near the foot of navy pier, so you could possibly combine the two in 1 day.....

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
13,551 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: A grandma and 5 yr old grandson in Chicago

River north/ mag mile is good for most tourists. It's near public transit. Lots of hotels and places to eat. Near most of the big tourist attractions.

Illinois
Destination Expert
for Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
44,805 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: A grandma and 5 yr old grandson in Chicago

No reason to drive. Parking is very expensive and public transit and taxis will get you wherever you'll need to go. www.transitchicago.com for public transit information.

Hotel rates here run all over the place as Chicago is also a convention destination. Play with your proposed dates using www.hotels.com or similar site to see what's available within your budget.

www.choosechicago.com for other ideas of things to see/do here.

Chicago
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, East End
Level Contributor
4,872 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: A grandma and 5 yr old grandson in Chicago

Really the best way to minimize walking is to take a cab wherever you need to go. Your hotel will have one for you right out front and they can take you very close to anywhere you want to go. Certainly not the cheapest but might be worth it. Flying from Little Rock to Chicago is very easy. If you provide a hotel budget I am sure people can suggest specific hotels.

B.

pgo
Chicago
Destination Expert
for Chicago
Level Contributor
7,154 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: A grandma and 5 yr old grandson in Chicago

Definitely put the Children's Museum on your to-do list next to the Field Museum. Hotels around North Michigan Avenue or the north side of the river will have convenient public transportation to one or both places, or be an inexpensive cab ride away. Homewood Suites, Hampton Inn, Embassy Suites, Springhill Suites or Hyatt Place have extra room and free breakfasts. Is a pool important to you?

Williamston...
Level Contributor
808 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: A grandma and 5 yr old grandson in Chicago

I would get a hotel within a block or two of Michigan Ave. If it's close to either Illinois or Grand Ave., that would be good in the summer, as there's a free trolley that circulates on those streets up and down to Navy Pier. The Children's Museum isn't the greatest but it is a good diversion for kids his age, worth a couple of hours. He'd probably like the Ferris wheel at Navy Pier as well. Taxis will get you quickly and relatively cheaply to the Field Musuem and Lincoln Park zoo. There are public transport options, also, but maybe not worth your time and effort to figure out.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
23,031 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: A grandma and 5 yr old grandson in Chicago

The bus will be great for things like the Lincoln Park Zoo and Peggy Notebaert if you do that (they have a great butterfly exhibit which is perfect for kids this age) but don't hesitate to take a cab e.g. if you go to the Museum of Science and Industry definitely grab a cab. Cabs are pretty cost effective in Chicago, easy to hail from the street and a good supplement for the excellent bus system when needed. Chicago is a great town for kids. Hope you have a great time.

Little Rock...
Level Contributor
24 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: A grandma and 5 yr old grandson in Chicago

Thanks for the info!

Little Rock...
Level Contributor
24 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: A grandma and 5 yr old grandson in Chicago

Thanks. Yes, he loves to swim and that would help us relax after a day of walking.

10. Re: A grandma and 5 yr old grandson in Chicago

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, May 06, 2015