We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Apollo Theater, History Museum, Lou Maltani's

Which Chicago hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Atascadero...
Level Contributor
67 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Apollo Theater, History Museum, Lou Maltani's

We will be visiting Chicago for two days (June 4th and 5th) for the first time. I have a few questions:

1. On the top of our sightseeing list is the Chicago Architecture Foundation boat tour. Is there a better time of day to go on this tour (early morning, late afternoon, etc.)?

2. We will be going to the Apollo Theater to see Million Dollar Quartet at 7:30 (on a Wednesday) and we will be taking public transportation. We would like to stop at the Chicago History Museum and eat at Lou Maltani's (on Wrighwood in Lincoln Park) before the show (after the Museum). We are renting an apartment in the Aqua Building. What time should we plan to leave the apartment to make sure we get to the theater on time? Also, is it safe to walk from the transit stop and/or restaurant to the theater at night?

3. Any alternative advice on this plan?

Illinois
Destination Expert
for Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
46,482 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Apollo Theater, History Museum, Lou Maltani's

Let the weather be your guide as to when to take the tour.

Refer to Google Transit to calculate how much time you'll need to get from place to place.

pgo
Chicago
Destination Expert
for Chicago
Level Contributor
7,199 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Apollo Theater, History Museum, Lou Maltani's

If I understand you correctly, you are first traveling to the History Museum, then to dinner and the show. The History Museum closes at 4:30 PM on Wednesdays. Allow about two hours for the museum and 20 minutes for the bus ride to North Avenue.

From the History Museum, your easiest option is a cab (15 minutes ride). If you want to stick with public transit, walk to the Brown Line Station at Sedgwick just south of North Avenue, and take that north to Fullerton. You'll walk right through Old Town, which has better choices for dinner than Lou Malnati's. If you stop in Old Town, you'll miss the worst of rush hour traffic. Allow about 30-40 minutes for the train ride to Fullerton and the walk up Sheffield to Wrightwood.

All the areas mentioned are very safe.

Edited: 10:06 pm, March 25, 2014
Atascadero...
Level Contributor
67 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Apollo Theater, History Museum, Lou Maltani's

Thank you, PGO, great information. I'm thinking we will stop in Old Town (after the Museum) for dinner (instead of going to the Lincoln Park Lou Maltani's) before going on to the Theater. I have read several so-so reviews on Lou Maltani's, but thought we'd try the famous "deep dish" pizza. However, I'd rather have a good meal than a so-so pizza meal. Any thoughts on places to eat in Old Town that would be on our way to the transit stop before the Theater?

Illinois
Destination Expert
for Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
46,482 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Apollo Theater, History Museum, Lou Maltani's

IMO - there are better dining options closer to the Apollo rather than CHM.

http://www.cafebabareeba.com/

http://www.saporitrattoria.net/

http://barnandcompany.com/

Atascadero...
Level Contributor
67 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Apollo Theater, History Museum, Lou Maltani's

Thanks, Dave148. I appreciate those recommendations. We love BBQ, so that one caught our eye. Is it safe to walk around the area where the Apollo Theater is, especially when it's dark after the show?

Illinois
Destination Expert
for Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
46,482 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Apollo Theater, History Museum, Lou Maltani's

Yes - it's safe.

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
15,429 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Apollo Theater, History Museum, Lou Maltani's

It's as safe as around the Fremont Theatre in downtown SLO. And just about as populated.

Atascadero...
Level Contributor
67 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Apollo Theater, History Museum, Lou Maltani's

Hey shallow_shoals, that's information I can relate to! With this information I won't worry about it. You must be a Poly grad, SLO native, or just a fan of SLO. Thanks.

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
15,429 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Apollo Theater, History Museum, Lou Maltani's

Poly grad. I still live SLO!

Edited: 5:45 pm, March 27, 2014
10. Re: Apollo Theater, History Museum, Lou Maltani's

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:15 am, March 29, 2015