We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

stuck at MDW for 3.5 hours

Louisville, Kentucky
Level Contributor
187 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
stuck at MDW for 3.5 hours

My friend and I are meeting in Chicago next week. We just realized that she booked the wrong flight and is getting in 3.5 hours after me. I get in at 8:30a and she doesnt get in until noon.

Is there anything around MDW that I could get into that early in the morning? I would just head to the hotel, but I wont be able to check in.

Mentioned in this post
Chicago
Chicago
Illinois
Midway Airport
Midway Airport
Chicago, IL
Illinois
Destination Expert
for Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
53,118 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: stuck at MDW for 3.5 hours

Are you looking for a hotel with early check-in or something to do to kill time?

Louisville, Kentucky
Level Contributor
187 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: stuck at MDW for 3.5 hours

something to do to kill time. I've never been to MDW before, is there anything around it? or a mall inside of it like PIT?

Mentioned in this post
Midway Airport
Midway Airport
Chicago, IL
Illinois
Destination Expert
for Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
53,118 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: stuck at MDW for 3.5 hours

Nothing special about Midway. There's a halfway decent food court in the central part of the terminal just inside security. That's about it.

If you don't have a lot of luggage, you can catch a CTA orange line train at Midway and head downtown for a couple of hours. Visit www.transitchicago.com for details.

Mentioned in this post
Midway Airport
Midway Airport
Chicago, IL
Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
3,536 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: stuck at MDW for 3.5 hours

I'd head over to the hotel, ask them to store my luggage if the room wasn't ready and have a nice walk around the city before she arrives. There's nothing in the vicinity of Midway and the airport is pretty small so just a few souvenir shops and a food court.

Otherwise bring something to read.

BTW, there's only one security checkpoint at Midway so if you watch the arrival board you should be able to meet up with no problem.

Mentioned in this post
Midway Airport
Midway Airport
Chicago, IL
Wauconda, Illinois
Level Contributor
985 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: stuck at MDW for 3.5 hours

Trust me! You don't want to get into anything around Midway for a few hours. It isn't exactly in the best of neighborhoods. It isn't the hood, but not far from it (litterally). Like previous posters have said, you could stop before clearing security at the many resturant choices (I actually prefer Midway over O'hare in this aspect). Many of the resturants are local establishments. I know there is a Harry Carey's, Potbelly's and Chicago Dinner. You should be able to get something there. for a brunch. If not there is a handful of shops that you could look in. Stuff like a Wilson's leather, PGA store, typical aiport book/mag and dry food store, record store. I believe there are more, but that is all I could remember.

Mentioned in this post
Midway Airport
Midway Airport
Chicago, IL
Chicago
Chicago
Illinois
Chicago
Level Contributor
274 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: stuck at MDW for 3.5 hours

Bring a good book! That's my advice, as I agree with the previous poster in that you don't want to exit the grounds of Midway. First off, there's no way you could really go anywhere without a car. So walking is pretty much out of the question. Second, it is very seedy around Midway. I'd just hang out for the 3.5 hrs and get some breakfast, read the paper, and before you know it, those hours will have passed.

Mentioned in this post
Midway Airport
Midway Airport
Chicago, IL
7. Re: stuck at MDW for 3.5 hours

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 pm, August 16, 2009