We're going to Chicago for the first time in mid-September (hope the weather is great!). Group in their early 30s to early 40s (relatively good shape). We get in late Thursday and leave Monday at 6 p.m. Flying into Midway at staying at the Courtyard on E. Hubbard in downtown. Planning on buying the 3 day CTA pass to use Saturday-Monday. Here's what we tentatively have planned:
- a.m. Architectural Boat Tour
- lunch: Carson's (Ontario/Wells)
- visit to Marshall Fields (which will be a Macy's at that point) and Filene's Basement (State Street)
- Wicked at Ford Theater
- day of shopping on Mag Mile!
- lunch: Portillos/Mr. Beef
- snack: Garrett's Popcorn
- dinner: Rosebud's/Heaven on Seven (Michigan/Ontario)
- Hancock Tower for drinks
- one member of the group is going to do the Gangster Tour while others finish shopping (yes, we love to shop!)
- quick stop at the Hard Rock restaurant for souvenirs/Rock and Roll McDonald's (what is there to do there?)
- lunch: Chicago Pizza and Oven Grinder
- (possibly) walk through Lincoln Park Zoo after lunch
- (possbily) quick trip to Chinatown to look around
- dinner: Chicago Chop House or some other steak place
- walk to Millennium Park/Buckingham Fountain (if not accomplished on Friday)
- walk to Millennium Park/Buckingham Fountain (if not accomplished on Friday or Sunday)
- Chinatown (if no accomplished on Sunday)
- (possibly) visit Shedd Aquarium (free day)
- (possibly) Museum of Science and Industry (opens at 9:30)
- no definitely meal plans although we plan to either eat a big meal so we don't get hungry on the flight home or pick up something to eat before we go to the airport (maybe a nice deep dish pizza to put us right to sleep when we get on board!)
Your thoughts??? We come from a big city (Los Angeles) if that sheds any light on your comments re whether its worth it for us to do certain things like go to the zoo or the aquarium.
Yes, we spend our vacations constantly on the go. We rest on the flight home and when we get home.