We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Running on the Riverwalk

Which Chicago hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Quebec
Destination Expert
for Mont Tremblant
Level Contributor
11,070 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
Running on the Riverwalk

I will be staying at the Renaissance Hotel on Upper Whacker (love that name) in Feb and I am keep to run around the area.

I see the riverwalk runs right by. Is this an appropriate place for a woman to run alone? Looks nice to me, but that means nothing.

pgo
Chicago
Destination Expert
for Chicago
Level Contributor
7,193 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Running on the Riverwalk

The Riverwalk not suitable for running because it's not continuous at one level - you would have to go up and down stairs. Head east and south through Millennium Park and cross Lake Shore Drive at Monroe to get to the lakefront path. Continue south to avoid the most crowded areas of the path.

BTW, Charles Wacker was the chairman of the Plan Commission that proposed and built Wacker Drive. It's unique in that it is a two-story road - the upper level is for free-flowing traffic while the lower level was intended as a service road.

Quebec
Destination Expert
for Mont Tremblant
Level Contributor
11,070 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Running on the Riverwalk

Thank you very much. Very informative.

Planning to do a Chicago Greeter tour, well hoping they assign me one in fact, so I can learn more on my first visit.

Will check out the waterfront and will keep an eye on the weather too.

Chicago
Level Contributor
7,703 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Running on the Riverwalk

Even if you find the uneven part of the riverwalk acceptable, I doubt it's plowed in the winter and your post doesn't say when you are coming. However, in the summer, I think it would be fine. The riverwalk does merge with the lakefront running path.

Quebec
Destination Expert
for Mont Tremblant
Level Contributor
11,070 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Running on the Riverwalk

Ah. February 6 to be exact. I know winter running well, but stick to ploughed roads at home.

Chicago
Level Contributor
1,323 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Running on the Riverwalk

If the river path is cleared of snow, you should be fine to run along it. Run along the street until you get to Michigan Ave Bridge - go down the stairs to reach the path. You can continue on the path going towards the lake (East) until you hit the running path. That part of the running path will take you south. You'll pass DuSable Harbor, the Chicago Yacht Club and depending on how far you go - all the way to museum campus. It can be icy so be sure to heed the signs if it says no running/biking.

Be aware of your surrounding if running at dawn or dusk. Make sure you can hear other people approach you. It's not dangerous but the running paths aren't as heavily used as they are in the better months.

You may want to check out Fleet Feet - South Loop if you have time. They are a local running store/group.

They are having a Chicks Night Fun Run on 2/6

fleetfeetchicago.com/chicks--night-fun-run-e…

Quebec
Destination Expert
for Mont Tremblant
Level Contributor
11,070 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Running on the Riverwalk

Thanks for that. Will check the link out,

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
15,273 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Running on the Riverwalk

Chicago has already had a visitor, from a non-snow state, slip off the river walk into the ice covered river and die. Running along the Riverwalk in February may not be smart.

Edited: 11:34 am, January 08, 2014
Chicago
Level Contributor
7,703 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Running on the Riverwalk

SS, when did that happen? Was the person sober? I would think it is pretty hard to fall into the river.

pgo
Chicago
Destination Expert
for Chicago
Level Contributor
7,193 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Running on the Riverwalk

There have been two or three people in the river this winter. A man slid off an icy ramp and was rescued by a firefighter who was also a lifeguard. More recently, a woman from Texas fell in, and by the time her friend found help, it was too late.

Quebec
Destination Expert
for Mont Tremblant
Level Contributor
11,070 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Running on the Riverwalk

Oh my, not fun at all. Very icy underfoot here, but no river to fall in easily.

In the end I think I will run on the hotel dreadmill, I got my Chicago Greeter for 10am in my only free day ( very happy about this) so I will save time by going to the gym.

Thanks for the great input,