We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Arlington Million 2014

Wales, UK
Level Contributor
83 posts
Save Topic
Arlington Million 2014

Hi,

Does anybody know know what date the Arlington Million will be run in 2014, I've done a quick google but can't find anything.

Also can you recommend a reasnably priced hotel for 6 male adults (40 -50, from UK) who are visiting Chicago for the first time, we'll be staying for 5 nights and looking for something quite central to all amenities.

Thanks

Ian

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
16,100 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Arlington Million 2014

Arlington park is nowhere near downtown Chicago but is accessible by train. Did you want to stay on the city or by the racetrack?

Chicago
Level Contributor
7,373 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Arlington Million 2014

I don't think any dates have been announced by the Illinois Racing Board as it appears the Board has been grappling with funding issues.

When the date is released, plan on staying in the MagMile ir River North areas of the city unless you are only coming to go to horse races. As stated, the racetrack is accessible by train from the city.

Wales, UK
Level Contributor
83 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Arlington Million 2014

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the prompt response.

We are there primarlity for the horse racing, but only going to visit on the saturday (for the million) not sure if there's racing on other days. Hoping to see the sites of chicago and also enjoy the night life in the evening.

So we don;t mind staying downtown if it suits and paying extra for a taxi to the races.

This year it was mid august, so we're aiming for the same time next year.

Thanks once again.

Edited: 10:14 am, November 29, 2013
Illinois
Destination Expert
for Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
51,200 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Arlington Million 2014

It's an expensive taxi ride to/from the races.

Arlington has a Metra train station on site with service between downtown Chicago and Harvard. metrarail.com/metra/…

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
16,690 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Arlington Million 2014

Arlington Race Track is 28 miles but about an hour taxi ride (more depending on traffic). The Metra Train is how you do this trip from The Ogilvie Transit Center to Arlington Park Station

go to metrarail.com/content/…map.html and look at the Union Pacific Northwest Line (Yellow)

Stay downtown

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
16,100 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Arlington Million 2014

Sounds like you will be better off staying downtown. To get to Arlington the day of the race, take the metra train as others have suggested. Taxi is going to cost a fortune. The train stops right at the entrance to the track.

Edited: 9:11 pm, November 29, 2013
Wales, UK
Level Contributor
83 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Arlington Million 2014

Great thanks.

Downtown it is. I'll keep am eye on the reviews on here and book once the dates are out. Also i watched the race this year (mid august) and the sun was sunshine. Is the weather normally that good during august?

Illinois
Destination Expert
for Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
51,200 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Arlington Million 2014

The weather is usually sunny and warm in August.

Eau Claire...
1 post
Save Reply
9. Re: Arlington Million 2014

The Million will likely be on August 16, 2014, but I don't think that has actually been announced yet. Everyone above has it right on where to stay and how to get to the track. They will race on Friday and Sunday too if you want to take in another day of racing. I recommend getting reserved seats. They go on sale in March or April. It will be about $20 to $100 per seat on Million day depending on how good of seat you are looking for. Getting some seats will be worth it though as the track will be very busy that day and it is a long card (12 or 13 races over about 7 hours).

Level Contributor
4 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Arlington Million 2014

I've been going to Arlington pk for over 5 yrs from nyc. You get a room downtown Chicago within the loop area or river north area. The way to go to the track is on the Metra. Its a train that will drop you right at the track. You catch that train near union station. That should help.