We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First time flyer, Dublin to Chicago O'Hare then to Nashville

Belfast, United...
5 posts
Save Topic
First time flyer, Dublin to Chicago O'Hare then to Nashville

First time flyer and flying alone so freaking out!

So flying from Dublin to Nashville, but have a connecting flight in Chicago.

Wondering if you guys could answer a few questions or give me some info?

I booked with aer lingus which is operating United Airlines in the states it said?

So when I go through US preclearance in Dublin at Terminal 2 what do I do next?

Also what do I do when I get to Chicago, I arrive at terminal 5 have a 5 hr 30 mins connection time then depart to Nashville from terminal 2.

Please can you guys just help me out, I have no clue what to do at airports and scared about immigration etc and whether Ill get lost lol!

Please and thank you for any help

Special Offer
Chicago Architecture River Cruise
2,265 reviews
from $33.60*
$39.20
Viator VIP: Skydeck, Trolley and...
97 reviews
from $124.00*
Chicago Explorer Pass
172 reviews
from $75.00*
Skydeck Chicago Admission
571 reviews
from $23.00*
pgo
Chicago
Destination Expert
for Chicago
Level Contributor
7,206 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First time flyer, Dublin to Chicago O'Hare then to Nashville

You'll be fine. People do this every day with no problems. You have plenty of time between flights.

Get to the Dublin airport early for the pre-clearance procedure. Call Aer Lingus in Dublin and see what they recommend for an arrival time for your flight. Since you will have pre-cleared, I believe you can check your bags through to Nashville, but the staff will tell you.

When you reach Chicago, you will take the ATS (airport tram) from T5 to T2. You can also visit T1 and T3 behind security since you will have several extra hours to spend. The best food, IMO, is at Frontera Fresco, in either T1 or T3.

If all goes smoothly, check with United in Chicago to see if there is an earlier flight to Nashville you can hop on as a standby.

The flight to Nashville is very quick and their airport is a breeze. A taxi to downtown Nashville is only $25. Have a great visit!

Edited: 11:40 am, November 20, 2013
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
262 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First time flyer, Dublin to Chicago O'Hare then to Nashville

You'll be fine. You have plenty of time to make the connection and have some food, do some shopping. O'hare is a giant airport with lots of places to spend $. Customs in Chicago can take a while but they are good about moving people around to make it quicker. Last time I came in from Germany, they had a dog sniffing people to be sure we weren't bringing in forbidden food but other than that, it was easy. Just follow the signs or the crowds once you get off the plane.

Chicago
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, East End
Level Contributor
5,542 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First time flyer, Dublin to Chicago O'Hare then to Nashville

Coming from Europe you will find the shopping at Ohare very minimal. There are a few stores to shop in but nothing like the malls in some of the large European airports, like Heathrowe. There are some decent places to eat but not that many IMO. Tortas is the best they are in T1 and T3 there is also a good Sushi restaurant between T1 and T2.

B.

Chicago
Level Contributor
7,998 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First time flyer, Dublin to Chicago O'Hare then to Nashville

5 hours at Ohare is brutal. You may want to leave the airport, take the subway down to the Wicker Park area and have lunch there, shop a bit, hit a gallery, and then take the subway back to Ohare.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
15,019 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First time flyer, Dublin to Chicago O'Hare then to Nashville

T5 is brutal but you don't have to spend time in it. You pre clear in Dublin so they'll walk you past all the long immigration lines. You'll be out if T5 quickly and can take the airport tram to the domestic terminals.

T2 is the smallest and only a few Unuted flights use it so double check your gate when you get there. When you get to T2 you have to go through security but once inside you can walk to any of the domestic terminals.

Unless you really want to get a glimpse if Chicago badly I'd stay in the airport. You have some time but not a huge amount.

Chicago
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, East End
Level Contributor
5,542 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First time flyer, Dublin to Chicago O'Hare then to Nashville

You could head out to the new outlet mall that is right by the airport if time permits. There is a shuttle and they will hold your carryon while you shop.

B.

Illinois
Destination Expert
for Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
48,349 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: First time flyer, Dublin to Chicago O'Hare then to Nashville

B is referring to - http://www.fashionoutletsofchicago.com/

8. Re: First time flyer, Dublin to Chicago O'Hare then to Nashville

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, November 22, 2014