We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need a great place for a date in Chicago

Chicago, Illinois
1 post
Save Topic
Need a great place for a date in Chicago

Okay guys, I am taking my fiance to see WICKED in Chicago for her Christmas present. She's never seen it and has been dying to. I have but its been years. She's given me the liberty to plan the whole day so I need a great place to eat for a date but also on a budget. Keep in mind, I'm a poor college student. Thanks!

Illinois
Destination Expert
for Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
47,664 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need a great place for a date in Chicago

If you're on a budget, you'll save $$ on dining by hitting up a neighborhood spot rather than dining near the theater.

www.chicagoreader.com and www.chicagomag.com for current dining information. You can search by area, cuisine, budget etc.

chicago
Level Contributor
8,414 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need a great place for a date in Chicago

paramount room and they have a groupon too

Chicago
Level Contributor
7,970 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need a great place for a date in Chicago

Kendall College--great food, nice views, all served by poor college students such as yourself. You can BYOB to save money.

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
15,816 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need a great place for a date in Chicago

Look on opentable.com. The best restaurants in the $$ range are the Gage and a South Water Kitchen. They are close enough to the theatre to walk but far enough away that the other 7000 theatre goers won't pack them for pre show dinners.

Tucson, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Dusseldorf
Level Contributor
3,182 posts
623 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Need a great place for a date in Chicago

Look in Lincoln Psrk and use Open Table.

ZB

Chicago, IL USA
Level Contributor
342 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Need a great place for a date in Chicago

For a romantic meal, I always recommend Geja' s on Armatige . Fondue menu with a great wine list. Very romantic with a classical guitarist playing. Price is very reasonable. Quick cab ride to the theatre. Plan on a minimum of 2 hours. Check out their menu online. You will love this place. Oh I forgot, the tables are secluded booths for privacy.

Tucson, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Dusseldorf
Level Contributor
3,182 posts
623 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Need a great place for a date in Chicago

I find Geja's over priced, dark, over rated and certainly anything but romantic.

ZB

Illinois
Destination Expert
for Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
47,664 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Need a great place for a date in Chicago

...and not a good option for a poor college student

Chicago
Level Contributor
7,970 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Need a great place for a date in Chicago

My issue with fondue places in general is you have to pay a healthy price and you have to cook the food yourself. I love to cook, but when I go out to eat, I don't want to deal with hot oil or hot cheese or chocolate or whatever they want you to do. I don't want to open wine, clean dishes, nothing. Just show up and eat.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
14,772 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Need a great place for a date in Chicago

Gejas is pretty expensive. If you go there, they have lots of deals so search for a coupon or sign up on their mailing list, first. Having been a couple times, it would not be my first choice, either, for a romantic date restaurant.

To keep the cost down, get out of downtown. Here's one of my current favorites. Nothing fancy, but really good food. Easy to get to from the California blue line stop. But this is just one. There's a lot of good choices depending what you want to eat, what you want to spend, how far you are willing to travel.

http://www.letiziasfiore.com/