We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bar/Restaurant between Midway & Downtown on the Orange Line

Chicago
Level Contributor
1,565 posts
10 reviews
Bar/Restaurant between Midway & Downtown on the Orange Line

So I'm flummoxed. A friend of mine is flying into Midway on Thursday night and has a layover. Her flight gets in at 5:30 and the next one leaves at 8:30. We were going to meet up for a drink but I am absolutely stumped on where to go. I don't think she'll have enough to time to get downtown and back. I don't drive which adds to the problem. Can anyone recommend a place right off the Orange line? If worse comes to worse, we can meet at the baggage claim and have a cup of coffee together.

Best Seller
Chicago Architecture River Cruise
3,324 Reviews
from $41.44*
Best Seller
Chicago Crime and Mob Tour
539 Reviews
from $39.95*
Special Offer
Skydeck Chicago Admission
627 Reviews
from $22.00*
$24.00
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
726 posts
6 reviews
1. Re: Bar/Restaurant between Midway & Downtown on the Orange Line

Call Southwest and see if they will give you a pass to get through security. I have done it in the past.

chicago
Level Contributor
9,602 posts
25 reviews
2. Re: Bar/Restaurant between Midway & Downtown on the Orange Line

western stop:

yelp.com/biz/piezanos-pizza-and-grinder-co-c…

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
18,604 posts
140 reviews
3. Re: Bar/Restaurant between Midway & Downtown on the Orange Line

Unfortunately that's not enough time for your friend to leave security, meet with you somewhere on the orange line (not any real choices along that line), go back to the airport and go through security again to board her next flight at 8:00. I remember in the last century when you could meet your friends at the gate, but no more. Even if she were to leave the airport, what is she going to do with her carry-ons? There are no a storage lockers in airports anymore.

Chicago
Level Contributor
1,565 posts
10 reviews
4. Re: Bar/Restaurant between Midway & Downtown on the Orange Line

DGB: They'll let you do that even in these days of high security? How did you ask for the pass? Do you know what department you called?

Unfortunately it looks like I'll be meeting her at baggage claim. I don't think there is enough time to for anything else. Is there a Starbucks or something similar?

Illinois
Destination Expert
for Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
58,609 posts
67 reviews
5. Re: Bar/Restaurant between Midway & Downtown on the Orange Line

Take a cab from MDW for a quick ride to - http://illinoisbarandgrill.com/5.html - great burgers.

Chicago
Level Contributor
1,565 posts
10 reviews
6. Re: Bar/Restaurant between Midway & Downtown on the Orange Line

Quick follow up in case anyone else is in the situation.

We ended up using this midwayhotelcenter.com/dining/eat_and_meet.php

Took the shuttle from the airport to the hotel complex and got a few drinks at the bar in Dempseys. Took the shuttle back where she went to the airport and I got on the Orange line. Super easy and cheap. I'd rather have shown her more of a Chicago experience but in the time frame that we had, this worked out perfectly.

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
18,604 posts
140 reviews
7. Re: Bar/Restaurant between Midway & Downtown on the Orange Line

Thanks lineybirdie. That's info to store away for future use. The good thing is that you actually got to spend some time together. The way airports are now-a-days it's just short of miraculous.

Illinois
Level Contributor
2,035 posts
116 reviews
8. Re: Bar/Restaurant between Midway & Downtown on the Orange Line

Lineybirdie, good to know for future Midway pick ups. Is anyone aware of a place like this that provides a shuttle to O'Hare?

Chicago Suburbs
Level Contributor
4,579 posts
24 reviews
9. Re: Bar/Restaurant between Midway & Downtown on the Orange Line

OHare Hilton in the airport.

10. Re: Bar/Restaurant between Midway & Downtown on the Orange Line

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, October 20, 2014