We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which Marriott hotel ?

Stockholm, Sweden
Level Contributor
84 posts
Save Topic
Which Marriott hotel ?

Hello All

Im going to Chiacgo the weekend before new year for the first time, need to stay at a Marriott chain hotel and found the rate to be OK at this 3 hotels.

Marriott Downtown Mag mile

JW Marriott with breakfast

Ranisannce Downtown with breakfast

we have no problem with walking but want to stay in a safe area not to far away from the action.

how far is it to walk from JW to Mag Mile ?

all the

chris sweden

Illinois
Destination Expert
for Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
54,072 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which Marriott hotel ?

Of your short list - JW is the newest property. Though it's in the Loop area which tends to get a little quiet in the evening and weekends. About a mile walk to the Mag Mile area.

My favorite - Renaissance on Wacker. Try to get a room facing the river.

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
17,506 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which Marriott hotel ?

JW does not fit your criteria of being close to the action. Too quiet area

Marriott Michigan Ave (Mag Mile). is epicenter of tourist central. Too busy area

The Renaissance on Wacker at State St is on the River and between the two others. I'd choose that one first.

That reminds me of a story about a little girl and three bears.....

Stockholm, Sweden
Level Contributor
84 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Which Marriott hotel ?

Great! thanks

The Renaissance looks nice with the view! which one is the most nice btw that one and the Marriott mag mile ? is it a 5 min walk up to mag mile from the river or how far is it ?

pgo
Chicago
Destination Expert
for Chicago
Level Contributor
7,462 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which Marriott hotel ?

The Renaissance is newer and has better views. It is 5 minutes walk from the south end of the Mag Mile, and very convenient to tourist sites and transportation. The Marriott on Michigan Avenue is a convention hotel, and often has large groups in attendance. This can be very inconvenient if the conventioneers are swarming the coffee bar or the elevators.

Edited: 10:30 am, October 02, 2013
Chicago
Level Contributor
8,576 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which Marriott hotel ?

I would also choose the Renaissance on Wacker--I'm swayed by the free breakfast...usually the Renaissance has a nice breakfast--sometimes they even will send it up to your room. Although PGO is correct that it is a convention hotel, there probably won't be a convention the week before New Years so you'd be fine at that one too. But all things being equal, cancel the JW on Adams. It's a lovely hotel, but it's location makes it better for business travel in the financial district.

Illinois
Destination Expert
for Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
54,072 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Which Marriott hotel ?

pgo was referring to the Marriott Mag Mile as the convention hotel.

Chicago
Level Contributor
8,576 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Which Marriott hotel ?

yes I know, PGO is correct that Marriott Mag is a convention hotel. I was just saying the week before New years, which is when OP is travelling, there probably won't be a convention seeing that it's Christmas. Maybe a Santa Clause convention.

London, United...
Level Contributor
54 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Which Marriott hotel ?

I actually don't mind the residence inn on Dearborn / kinzie. Have stayed there a few times and back there next week

Edited: 3:30 pm, October 03, 2013
9. Re: Which Marriott hotel ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:19 am, October 05, 2014