We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Total time from downtown loop to airport gate using the L?

Which Chicago hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Nashville, TN
Level Contributor
1,196 posts
185 reviews
Save Topic
Total time from downtown loop to airport gate using the L?

How long should I allow on a Friday afternoon to get from the Clark/Lake station to Ohare using the L? My flight is at 4:50. I don't like to be rushed but don't want to get to the airport and just sit around too long either. Thanks!

Chicago
Level Contributor
6,412 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Total time from downtown loop to airport gate using the L?

The "airport gate" depends on where the gate is and how long it will take to get through security.

As a general rule I would allow about an hour to O'Hare once you are actually on the train.

pgo
Chicago
Destination Expert
for Chicago
Level Contributor
7,154 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Total time from downtown loop to airport gate using the L?

O'Hare is going to make you appreciate Nashville's compactness and efficiency. Allow at least a half hour for security, 20 minutes for walking, 10 minutes waiting for the train, and 50 minutes on the train itself.

Edited: 4:51 pm, September 20, 2013
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
567 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Total time from downtown loop to airport gate using the L?

Assuming that you are not checking luggage, I'd probably allow a minimum of 2 hrs. 15 minutes (and more if you are checking luggage) from the time that you are standing on the L platform -- i.e., no later than 2:35 pm. The trains run pretty frequently at that hour so you probably will only need to wait about 5 minute. Then, as Warriorjan suggests, allow an hour for the train-travel portion of the trip.. Once you get off the train, you will need to walk for about 10 minutes to actually reach the departure level of the Terminal (perhaps a bit less for Terminal 2, which is closest to the ORD L). That will provide you with an 1 hour to get through security and to your gate -- perhaps a bit generous, but my rule of thumb is to be in the Terminal 1 hour before departure.

Nashville, TN
Level Contributor
1,196 posts
185 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Total time from downtown loop to airport gate using the L?

I really appreciate the replies. Thanks. I will aim to be at the train station no later than 2:15 just in case. Thanks all.

chicago
Level Contributor
8,209 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Total time from downtown loop to airport gate using the L?

2:50pm is plenty of time

Chicago
Level Contributor
6,412 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Total time from downtown loop to airport gate using the L?

I think 2:50 would be cutting it close for a 4:50 flight. Doesn't account for any delays at any point along the way.

Palm Springs...
Level Contributor
246 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Total time from downtown loop to airport gate using the L?

I work in the loop and frequently take the Blue Line from Monroe to O'Hare. I would leave between 2:30 and 2:45...so if you plan for 2:15 I suspect you will have plenty of time.....to buy caramel corn at Garrett's.

8. Re: Total time from downtown loop to airport gate using the L?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:22 am, September 26, 2014