We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Secure downtown parking

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,283 posts
116 reviews
Save Topic
Secure downtown parking

I will be driving my mother's car cross country with her dog and some of her belongings. (My mother has already moved to a facility near my home.) The shortest route passes by Chicago, and I was thinking of spending a night in the city. I could see an old friend the evening I arrive and make a professional connection the following morning. The main potential snag here is parking a car loaded with stuff safely overnight. Staying outside the city in a safe suburb is not an appealing option, since since I'd have to drive back and forth to destinations in the city in the evening and the following morning, including dealing with the morning rush hour commute into Chicago. I am prepared to pay for secure parking, which to me implies active surveillance around the clock. I am considering the Hotel Allegro, which offers valet parking for $57 a night. I know that overnight parking is available in downtown Chicago for less than that and don't feel that valet service implies security. That said, I'd pay $50 for a secure spot. Can anyone recommend a safe place to park a visibly loaded car? Thanks.

Illinois
Destination Expert
for Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
53,429 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Secure downtown parking

www.spothero.com will save you $$ on downtown parking. You can choose by location, a garage, or open lot.

Keep in mind, downtown hotels do not own their own garages and use the same garages that are open to the public. Leaving items visible in a car downtown is not a good idea, whether your parking on the street or in a garage. You might want to reconsider.

Chicago
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, East End
Level Contributor
6,164 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Secure downtown parking

I can't imagine there is any parking lot in the city that will be responsible for your car's contents. Some of the hotels have more secure parking as it is in their building. For example Swissotel is right under the hotel. Trump uses the Trump Tower etc which I would think would be more secure but still no guarantees.

B.

pgo
Chicago
Destination Expert
for Chicago
Level Contributor
7,402 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Secure downtown parking

The 777 North Michigan garage uses secured elevators to take the cars to the parking floors. It's staffed 24 hours a day. See parkwhiz.com/p/…

It does not have a lot of extra spaces, but fall should not be as crowded as the summer.

Rensselaer, Indiana
Level Contributor
8,328 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Secure downtown parking

IMHO, you are assuming things which aren't correct.

If you are seriously considering the Hotel Allegro - possibly because of the dog - then call them and ascertain EXACTLY what type of security is involved with the valet parking. That doesn't mean they'll be responsible for theft or damage to the car and/or contents at any time. But especially because your own actions (leaving that car visibly loaded) might negate any responsibility that they could have possibly had - although I, too, think that is a remote possibility.

When you call any hotel - or any parking facility, if you decide to go that route, I suggest that you be absolutely transparent about the reason why you want this secure parking. It will not help you to get answers based on incomplete details - or a misrepresentation.

Edited: 12:31 pm, September 19, 2013
Illinois
Destination Expert
for Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
53,429 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Secure downtown parking

Read the fine print on ticket that the valet or parking garage gives to you upon arrival. Bottom line - you're on your own in terms of responsibility of the contents of your vehicle, secure lot or not.

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
17,321 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Secure downtown parking

Agree with ChiTown. Contact the hotel directly. No garage will assume responsibility for your contents.

Chicago's North...
Destination Expert
for Illinois, Chicago
Level Contributor
7,806 posts
310 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Secure downtown parking

safe and secure parking in the city of chicago is an oxymoron..... smash and grabbers will do their deeds for the most minor things, such as seeing some loose change in the cupholder.... if your car is gonna be loaded to the hilt, with valuables, no less, i DO NOT recommend parking overnite in the city anywhere...

methinks the most reasonably secure parking would be the parking garage at o'hare airport, but it will cost you dearly to park there for 24 hours.... you can park at one of the remote lots for much less per day.... you can hop on the CTA blue line to downtown, no problem.... you'll bypass all the rush hour BS..... hotels near the airport will have free shuttles to the terminals.... also, if you wanna chance it, you can leave the car in the hotel parking lot.... i do know one of the hyatts near the airport has its own parking garage, which might offer better than average security....

now, what to do with the dog....that's a different story.....

chicago
Level Contributor
8,822 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Secure downtown parking

Loaded with what? Clothes? Electronics?

9. Re: Secure downtown parking

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:20 am, September 22, 2014