We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Oak Street Beach

Southampton...
Level Contributor
102 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Oak Street Beach

Going to beach on Friday . any suggestions on places to eat and have a couple of drinks?

chicago
Level Contributor
8,651 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Oak Street Beach

There's only one option at oak street and one at north avenue (castaways)

Chicago's North...
Destination Expert
for Illinois, Chicago
Level Contributor
7,360 posts
301 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Oak Street Beach

go to north ave beach rather..... better beach and more interesting.....

Chicago
Level Contributor
8,178 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Oak Street Beach

Each beach has one place right on the beach to eat/drink. However, you can eat near the beach...and then go to the beach...or go back to the beach...there are many beaches in Chicago...all with their own personality...and all fun!

Midwest
Level Contributor
114 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Oak Street Beach

Consider this hidden gem of a beach too: Olive Park Beach (yelp.com/biz/milton-lee-olive-park-chicago). Personally, I would get a bottle of wine & some food from Fox & Obel and head to the Olive Park Beach (http://www.fox-obel.com/).

chicago
Level Contributor
8,651 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Oak Street Beach

its illegal to drink at the beach unless you are at one of the restaurants

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
15,791 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Oak Street Beach

Olive Park is not a beach. It's a park. It's right next to Ohio Street beach, which is small and peaceful compared to the larger beaches like Oak Street and North Avenue, but it does not have the same level of services like you'd find at a bigger beach. It does not have a full restaurant.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
25,955 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Oak Street Beach

Oak Street has a bar and you can get some hot dogs etc --

North Beach Castaways has terrible drinks (unless you are drinking beer our of a bottle) is very noisy with blaring speakers and very so so food -- but nice terrace over the beach. We ate there the other night and it has been a long time since I had a bar drink that was awful -- some sweet stuff poured out of a jug apparently with perhaps a shot of rum. No sign of a bartender's hand.

Oliva at Ohio Beach just North of the Navy Pier and water treatment plant peninsula is the best of the beach restaurants we have found. Decent selection of slightly upscale beach foods e.g. lamb kabobs, chopped salads as well as quite good burgers and mediocre fish and chips. They also have an actual bartender who makes pretty fair drinks. We like to grab a bite on the beach in the evenings and this is the one we now go to.

Oak street is fine if you just want to get drinks.

Southampton...
Level Contributor
102 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Oak Street Beach

Thanks everyone for your great input.

Chicago
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, East End
Level Contributor
5,901 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Oak Street Beach

To be clear. Chicago has an open container law prohibiting drinking in any outdoor public place. Beach, Park, Sidewalk etc unless proper permits are obtained. Like for taste of Chicago. CPD will normally not cite you and just ask you to dump it out but they could issue you a ticket f they want.

B.

Chicago
Level Contributor
8,178 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Oak Street Beach

I also love Olivia's on Ohio Street Beach. The other day, I was there at lunch, and the waitress wasn't busy at all. We received our bill for $49 and I gave her a $100. She gave me all 10's, 5's and 1's back in order to give her a good tip. After another quick glance at the bill, I realized she added 18% gratuity (we were a party of 2). She didn't say a word, and split up the tip money to make it easy to get more money. I was disappointed that she did that. I called her on it and put on my nicest smile and said "Oh I noticed you took gratuity" and she said, "yeah, just 18%" and crinkled her nose. In my book, 18% at a beach bar is pretty good.