We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Labor day wknd

Which Chicago hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Orland, In
Level Contributor
45 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Labor day wknd

Hi, I'm considering doing a long weekend in the city over Labor Day, from Thurs. the 29nd thru Mon the 2nd. We would mostly be just packing up and heading home on Monday, so no worries about things being closed. I'm wondering if any of you have any idea if it will be much busier being the holiday weekend or not? I live in Northern Indiana, so I've been to Chicago quite a few times, so I know it's always very busy, but just wondered if things really pick up being the last big weekend of the summer. I'd be traveling with hubby and 3 kiddos, thinking mainly of the Museum of Science and Industry, and possible the Art Institute, along with lots of yummy food of course :D Thanks! Naomi

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
14,239 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Labor day wknd

The museums will be very busy. So will the beaches and lakefront areas.

Chicago
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, East End
Level Contributor
5,128 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Labor day wknd

Yes the weather will be a big factor. The better it is the more day trippers will go in to the city making everything more crowded especially the popular beaches and most certainly the museums. I have never had an issue getting a table at most restaurants outside the very touristy places.

B.

Orland, In
Level Contributor
45 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Labor day wknd

Thanks! I'm not sure what we'll do then. We homeschool so maybe we will be better off waiting a week or two. I assume most schools don't take field trips that quickly after school starts, so maybe we could avoid some of the crowds at the museums that way.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
280 posts
231 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Labor day wknd

It will probably be more crowded than usual, especially the museums.

5. Re: Labor day wknd

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:21 am, August 21, 2014