We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Water taxi question

USA
Level Contributor
51 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
Water taxi question

My wife and I will be going to Chicago this weekend. I'm looking for an inexpensive way to get around town to see the sights for two days. I am considering the water taxi. Is that a good option or would we be better off with a bus or something else?

If we do the water taxi, would the 10 ride pass be overkill? We will most likely be there both Saturday and Sunday. I noticed that the pass is cheaper if I get it before the weekend.

Thanks much for any advice.

Illinois
Destination Expert
for Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
50,433 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Water taxi question

The weather looks nice for this weekend which would be good for the water taxi. But it's not convenient for getting around to most sites here. Skip the 10-ride pass. Consider taking the water taxi down to Chinatown for lunch or dinner for one of your days.

With a short visit you're better off using public transit for getting around - http://www.transitchicago.com/

chicago
Level Contributor
8,651 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Water taxi question

if you buy the ten ride pass on a weekday its only $17.50, quite a bargain, you can use the pass anytime

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
16,495 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Water taxi question

The water taxi only goes down the river or between the Museum Campus and Navy Pier. That's too restrictive. You get around on the "L" and subway, taxicab, bus, and on foot. Downtown is very compact. If you're staying in the Loop and River North areas look into the Chicago Trolley Hop-On-Hop Off double decker buses. (not greyline)

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
15,791 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Water taxi question

The water taxi only goes to a few places so is limited as a transportation option. I'd plan out where you are going first in relation to where your hotel is to see if there's a water taxi nearby.

USA
Level Contributor
51 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Water taxi question

We're actually staying in Gurnee so getting into town is a separate issue. We'll come down on the L or Metra. Just looking for a way to get around once we are there. We're not at all familiar with the city, which is why the advice is helpful. If we use the subway and/or bus, is there a daily pass, etc, that we should get? Saturday and Sunday will be our only two days in town.

Thanks again for the help.

chicago
Level Contributor
8,651 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Water taxi question

it depends, where are you planning on going? if you take metra you can take the water taxi from the train station to michigan avenue or chinatown

Illinois
Destination Expert
for Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
50,433 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Water taxi question

A CTA pass is a better option - transitchicago.com/travel_information/fares/…

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
16,495 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Water taxi question

Oh, you said that you were coming to Chicago. Gurnee is not Chicago. It's 47 miles away. I wouldn't worry about water taxis and mulit-day passes. You'll be 1.5 to 2 hours out of Chicago. You may visit downtown but you'll be commuting a long commute. Don't even try to drive into the city. That will add even more to your travel time. Gurnee is half way to Milwaukee.

Edited: 7:36 pm, August 16, 2013
USA
Level Contributor
51 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Water taxi question

I am coming to Chicago, from Gurnee.

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
16,495 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Water taxi question

Sorry, there's no way to know that you live in Gurnee if your profile says USA. It was also confusing when you said that you would come in on the L or Metra since neither serve Gurnee. Most tourists don't know the separate transit systems and you asked about water taxi as a transit system. It was my misunderstanding.